Small Colorado spruce needs a final pot

base797

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg This is a small Colorado spruce (caliper just under 2") that could go into a final pot when I make a decision on one (and buy it because my pot selection is not vast). Would love to hear people's thoughts and opinions. Virts welcome. Any styling critiques/thoughts welcome as usual. I have seen a huge bristlecone in the high country, probably a couple thousand years old, that I am trying to emulate.

Patrik

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Im thinking there is a lot of already deathwood under that bark around those bottom jins. Exposing this could turn out interesting i believe.

Is this the final angle you are thinking about?
Maybe a long rectangular pot with sharp edges to make it look edgy or a slap for some more natural feeling.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Slab.....All Day...twice on Sunday!

Wait a minute.....have I ever seen a Spruce in a pot?

They always work on slabs.

Are we overdoing Spruce on slab?
CAN you overdo it?

Nice.

Sorce

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This tree needs about 2-3 more years of being left alone to grow. This spruce is at the bare minimum foliage for survival. If the soil is draining well, I would leave it in this pot for a couple of years. Your other option would be to gently lift the tree from the pot and plant it in a bigger container with a good conifer soil mix. In about 2-3 years, you can decide on some light styling options. I know that being told that you should not work on your tree for 2 -3 years is not something many people want to hear. However, it will pay off in the long run.

Rob

base797

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Rob. The tree is quiet happy and vigorous. Percolation through substrate (scoria mainly) is good. Collected over 5 years ago, initially styled 2.5 years ago. Buds swelling everywhere, even on a branch the squirrels tried to kill last year. I've got many spruce and have a pretty good handle on them.

Top Bottom