Small cork bark black pine

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good luck. My corkers hate to be wired…and decandled for that matter. Nice bark on yours, any idea on the cultivar?

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hi Brian, not sure about the cultivar. What happens when you wire or decandle your cork bark? Thanks
Nice corker! I have a few myself and the few that I have decandled (treated like regular JBP), the branch ended up dying. I'll see if I can find some photos...

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hi Brian, not sure about the cultivar. What happens when you wire or decandle your cork bark? Thanks
Both weaken corkers, in my experience. I will carefully and lightly wire corkers…mostly guy wires on old branches, and wire on new shoots. Summer candle-cutting produces inconsistent and unbalanced results, from death of the shoot, setting buds only, or actually producing new candles.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Those pines usually have a very strange and sparse ramification in Japan I dont know if is a treat of the cultivar

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I find that cork bark JBP tend to be weak and do not respond well to de-candling. I have experienced similar die-back of lower / inner branches after de-candling strong candles - which I normally wouldn't expect with a standard JBP. It is very difficult to develop ramification and maintain short needles... at least compared with standard JBP.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
....ain't too fond of re-pots, either.....:(

DSC01055.JPG

dead about two weeks later...looked pretty vigorous....then I pulled it out of it's grow-pot....almost no roots.....crappy graft, nature of the beast, oh well......:(

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
....ain't too fond of re-pots, either.....:(

View attachment 394901

dead about two weeks later...looked pretty vigorous....then I pulled it out of it's grow-pot....almost no roots.....crappy graft, nature of the beast, oh well......:(
Oh man! Sorry to hear you lost this one. I was told by Dave DeWire that they usually prefer deeper pots compared to the shallower ones.

Top Bottom