small crape myrtle

Reaction score
this little crape myrtle seems to be developing quickly. not sure exactly where i want to go with it yet. 6 inches tall from the soil, i found it last year at a nursery when its root-flare caught my attention. you can see some of the chop wounds from when i reduced it from a shrub to a trunk-line last spring. i'm expecting lots of new branches this coming spring so hopefully it will fill out a little and heal up some of the chops.

there will be some upward reaching branches, i have no intention of designing a "pine" image out of deciduous material. any thoughts, advice, or critique?

Attachments

• smallgem.jpg
    smallgem.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 258

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
That is a beautiful find. I just want to give it a little bit more room with a slightly bigger pot for more ramification to develop and to get more soil in between the roots. I think you are right in reasoning with the upright branch structure.

noissee

Mame
Reaction score
Good find. I think it would look a little more tidy if the nebari were buried a little more.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very Nice material. Keep us updated!

Reaction score
here's some new photos of this plant. let me know what you think i should do with it. i don't know about the variety.

Attachments

• P1010687.jpg
    P1010687.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 119
  • P1010685.jpg
    P1010685.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 104
  • P1010686.jpg
    P1010686.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 96
  • P1010688.jpg
    P1010688.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 118

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'd just let it be for a while. In mid summer, snip back all branches to two or three pairs of leaves, then let it grow again.

If you repot next year, you maybe shuld plant it a bit deeper in the ground, so the roots are quite so prominent. There's too much space under them as is.

Eventually, you will want to get rid of the pointy top, but only after you have a ew more branches -- which this summers inching and pruning should help gve you.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice little myrtle. Note that if you do pinch back to 2-3 leaves in the summer, you won't have flowers; they grow at the end of the current year's growth. This also means it will look pretty rough by the time it does flower, because these things are weeds...so it's one or the other!

mo's bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice crape, I'm a big fan of crapes myself and every time i hunt for nursery stock I do not find one with a great root system as that one. I would apply more soil medium to fill in those nebari voids but keep those roots exposed, afterall you have a very desireable root system. Let the roots get weathered and form a mature trunk to root relationship. And the wounds, well I think it gives it charecter. Keep us updated on your progress.

Mo

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It is very difficult to let a small crape myrtle like this one bloom. Branches would have to be 3-4 times longer than this to bloom and you'd lose all hope of "bonsaihood." Grow it for the bark, the roots and fall color.

Reaction score
here are some shots from today

Attachments

• P1020006.JPG
    P1020006.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 85
  • P1020003.JPG
    P1020003.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 72
  • P1020004.JPG
    P1020004.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 66
  • P1020005.JPG
    P1020005.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 81

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi C.C. Nice tree!

I also have a Crape Myrtle. Since we both have similar climates, I was wondering how you get yours through the winter?

Thanks.

Bob.

Reaction score
Hi C.C. Nice tree!

I also have a Crape Myrtle. Since we both have similar climates, I was wondering how you get yours through the winter?

Thanks.

Bob.

thanx
i have always placed this one in an unheated garage for the winter. its connected to the house so its not too cold. my best friend has one that she keeps indoors by a window year-round and it doesn't seem to mind it at all.

Top Bottom