Small Eastern Hemlock development

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This one is really coming along. I think a huge jump in development over the last couple of years. I would be kicking myself for not buying off of you, but there is a non-zero chance I’ll be moving to a climate to warm for Tsuga in the next year or two.
I’m using a lot of saw cuts under branches to aid in pulling them down. All the guy wires are holding them in place. The cuts knit back together in one season and is a more permanent solution to holding them down since the trees have such a long memory. Their apical dominance will make the branches creep back up.

View attachment 479125

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I had a partial branch of winter 2022 just die off. Spent last season trying to fix it but it kinda opened up the structure. Also using aluminum wire for everything now. Tired of paying for copper and aluminum is so much easier to use.

The new pot has no feet other than the stand which is designed to go outside with the tree. There’s no finish on it and will simply turn weathered gray.

View attachment 479124
I see what you mean about the opening from the lost branch. I would be tempted to “open up” the rest of the tree to match. You know, make some room for the birds to fly through.
Stupendous tree as is, and may be the most refined Tsuga c. bonsai out there?

Top Bottom