Small juniper, did I do this right?

Planta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm new and have done a lot of researching and quite a bit of practicing on nursery stock but I need some direct feedback. Not sure what's done right or wrong.
2u7mxyt.jpg
[/IMG]

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Hmmm.. What kind of wire is this? The green one specifically?
A bit much wire I think, you should spread the loops a bit more. Also you should not put wire over already put on wire. Always wire the thickest branches first then thin ones.

This is very helpful:
http://www.craftsy.com/class/bonsai...?_ct=iuqhsx-kdyluhiqb-huikbj-sekhiu&_ctp=4616
(you have to register but it's free)

Otherwise good job for first timer.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You have a good start there and as far as wiring goes you did really good for a begginer, the link above is very helpful to learn proper wiring techniques, oh and welcome to the Nut house!

Aaron

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like it....
Further.....
I highly commend the small detail wiring,
Friggin impressive!

Wether or not it is too tight and kills the tree? Who cares! You'll find that balance!

That Said....I think the smooth swoop down says Chinese Penjing over Bonsai..
But that's just semantics. Who cares.
Though you could give it more..
Compactness, And interest with a bit more moment......
I like the smooth swoop.

Just as a different viewpoint....aviary-image-1452355211758.jpeg

I think a smaller pot, MUCH later.....
And a stand could give it some oomph.
Effectively making it a full cascade.

The one branch under the rainbow, I'd push it right to hide a bit more trunk..

And right now you can leave them....
But one of those 2 branches down there should eventually create an entire pad.

Bloody Nice!

Sorce

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That does look like a home depot pot..no drain holes in the bottom. May want to do something about that here real soon.

Planta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks guys that's exactally the type of feedback I was looking for. The green wire is that cheap steel painted wire that florists use. I only used that cheap floral wire just to see how it would look(only have small rolls of nice wire right now) I didn't want to use it all up on somthing that looks bad then have to throw it out. So that's the right way to trim it though? I was afraid I went to far. It seems like some peoples foliage pads are not fine trimmed or fine wired. Should I try leaving fuller bushier foliage? I love the mock up drawing. I have some ideas on him I want to plant it. Just came in that pot...

Planta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I got it at Home Depot lol I just saw it and decided it was a nice little practice tree. I'm going to repot real soon.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You may want to pull it out and examine the roots. Not sure if you are watering or not , but the thing could literally be sitting in water..THERE ARE NO DRAINAGE HOLES. .will not hurt to peak

Planta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok I might repot today. Btw I like penjing a lot also. Stoning honk it influenced me a good deal. I'm not hung up on staying within one art stylistically. I thought this little pot would look cool. Or plant directly on that wood slab.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's not repotting season for me :( my hands are iching.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Planta....

Forgive me....your tree, sorry, not really the tree! Your efforts! Are so impressive...
I forgot to....

Welcome to Crazy!

That Said....
I dropped a rant here...
http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/new-bonsai-help.21629/#post-314986
.post 5....
That has a lot of goods for you....
In regards to plants and depot....
Yada....

Should you decide to click my link....
You can see how much foilage I'm leaving on said junipers now.
And if you want to see what a dead tree design looks like, born of my newbie haste, find my tree here. It died fast!
http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/intermediate-category-box-store-challenge-final-photos.16618/

Of course....results vary....but you get the general idea!

Also....I've been eyeing that green wire....it looks good for small details.....
Thanks for the look at it!

Sorce

Planta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So when u say "not the tree" I'm guessing your saying its bad material to work with... Or are u saying it looks bad? I will most likey die but if I can make it live cool too. Home Depot had it indoors and it's mid winter so I was just gonna see if it will make it to spring... I just wanted to take s risk with styling on a tree I don't care to much about.(I do kinda like it now though) it's not bonsai season here either. Just had the itch and thought I'd try to prepare myself for spring.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol!
Yes...but it was much more a stab at people who don't even look at trees like this.....
Cuz I'm huge a huge advocate of keeping newbs passionate.

Hence the first reply!

But I also can't let you delve to far into thinking it is a great tree!
I'm trying to be more direct, but safely, to keep spirits up.
Hence the second reply.

This reply.....?

To confirm that you HAVE done an excellent job, and even old timers can learn from this effort.
I'm all about learning.
This.
just wanted to take s risk with styling on a tree I don't care to much about

Is my exact feeling! I advocate that as much as possible!

I always contradict my own thoughts even though I hate contradictions!
Oh....no one wants my "crazy"!

This tree is totally worth the effort.
Go slow with it!

Sorce

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
I always contradict my own thoughts even though I hate contradictions!
Oh....no one wants my "crazy"!
This is the main reason I like Sorce . Brother I take you with a Grain of Bonsai Soil. Enjoy your comments agreed or disagreed.

By the way Planta Great Work! SALUTE

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm going to repot real soon.

Just wanted to add that if the green coated wire is steel wire make certain the steel never gets exposed to the bark - deadly chemical reaction could occur. Also, no clue where you are located so no way to tell you if you killed it anyways... Now one more note, do not repot it unless you slip pot it in to a larger nursery container not disturbing the roots at all. The plant needs to recover from the work a season - when you do any root work on them do not do anything else that year. Serious, keeping it alive at this point should be your number one goal. ;)

Grimmy

Top Bottom