small juniper

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Me neither.

They grow like weeds here, but the biggest problem is finding them without the typical bean pole straight trunks, although I do have a couple dozen I plan on trying a forest with next year.

Here is a link to one of the ones I have collected http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810&highlight=Juniperus+virginiana without a straight trunk.

The only problems I have had is cedar apple rust but I have controled it by simply picking off the galls as soon as they appear.

Good luck with this little beauty and keep us updated,

Will

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Will did hit the nail on the head: They grow like Weeds here, and that is the problem; they are in some parts of the country considered a weed and nuisance. They are however good for bonsai and should be worked with when you find a good one.

Reaction score
i noticed that some of my linked images have vanished so i decided to take some better pictures.

Attachments

• P1010516.jpg
    P1010516.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 81
  • P1010517.jpg
    P1010517.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 76
  • P1010518.jpg
    P1010518.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 98
  • P1010519.jpg
    P1010519.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 81
  • P1010520.jpg
    P1010520.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 74

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
#3 is the go to. On the left side, either let a sacrifice grow on the bottom branch, or chop it and develop the next branch up. Great movement.

Dave

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
to right there with #3 that has very graceful movement, i love the looks of this tree. i bit more refinement and it will be a ripper!

jamie :)

Reaction score
okay, i'm making 3 the new front, adjusted the wires a little, CAT hat for size, now all i need is the right pot.
any pot suggestions??

Attachments

• P1010535.jpg
    P1010535.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 83

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
lovely work cat :) i like where you are going with this, as for pot sugestions i actually find that the tree is quite nice from all side but i found 3 to be the nicest, if you are happy with this as a dead set front go with a smal rectangle, with cloud feet i think, or if you want to be able to veiw from a few different angles which you will be able to do with this tree, a nice round pot, unglazed deep burgandy brown i think would look good, with the rim slightly going out, not in.

have you thought about taking the pointed leader of the top and giving the apex a slight more rounded shape? i think it would help with aging the tree a bit more.
i will do a bit of a virt for you :)

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
here ya go mate, its not much but minor details help a lot in the overall picture of things :)

once it fills in a bit it will be even better :)

Attachments

• catjuni.jpg
    catjuni.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 49

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
okay, i'm making 3 the new front, adjusted the wires a little, CAT hat for size, now all i need is the right pot.
any pot suggestions??

Much improved in my opinion. Good job!

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I think you've chosen well with view #3 as the front.

I would go with a shallower pot. I agree with jamie that a rectangle would look good: this tree's spikiness gives it what the Japanese call "masculine" character, enough to override the "feminine" of the gentle curves.

(Please, PC police; I'm just using the traditional terminology to communicate my point. No need to get your pruners up your noses.)

Unglazed would be best, methinks; this tree's colors are subtle enough to be overpowered by a glaze. I'd pick something a little lighter than the current pot, but still darker than the bark.

Them's my two cents. The decisions are yours. You have a nice little tree there. I think it's good that you want to bring out its best.

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
i agree with the colour you have said T-Beard! and definately unglazed, i beleive that an unglazed pot suits juniper very well!

i am still thinking though a nice smallish round pot with the rim curving out would work well for veiwing from 360 degrees around.
but with the choice as being #3 as preffered view i think rectangle is the way to go, nice cloud feet, and a small lip, same as the round pot idea, slightly out, i think that will help with the overall appearance of the tree giving it a slight spreading feeling to the tree.

JMHO. :)

jamie :D

Top Bottom