Small Leaf Linden Any uses?

ghulst

Seedling
Reaction score
I am a newbee and have a lot of ideas. I have four small leaf Linden that I started from seed 19 year ago that I could sacrifice . They are about eight ft tall with bases about 3.5 in. Would they work for bonsai?

ghulst

Seedling
Reaction score
Will get some tomarrow .

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're talking about Tilia cordata, I believe it is used extensively for bonsai in Europe. Check Harry Harrington's site (bonsai4me). I think I've seen a couple around here but they don't appear to be common in the U.S. I have 2 in the ground developing trunks, they've been there for 3 years, through two brutal winters. They seem very tough in the ground, but I had them both in nursery pots for a couple of years and had some trouble with chlorosis. Not sure what I was doing wrong.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was much attracted to the specie after reading a progression thread in a book. I will try to find it tomorrow, and post you a link.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Probably one of Harrington's books? I'll have to look.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Harry Harrington's book "Bonsai Inspirations II" has a progression as well, and there are some pics of that tree on his website (bonsai4me)

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, really, those are just trunks right now, mostly straight with no taper. Most of the tree would not be of any use, though you could try air layering if there is anything that looks interesting in the canopy. Otherwise you'd probably have to chop them pretty low and grow the next trunk segment...and then do that again. Multi-year project.

As for the rest...what kind of roots are there? If those are lousy (and they usually are unless you prepared the trees when planting, and dug them periodically to work on the roots...which wasn't done here) then you'd have to do a ground layer most likely to fix that. That adds in another year or more for the layer to take, then years for the roots to develop.

So I think these would be long term projects at best...many years to produce something of use. You might be better off getting more seeds or seedlings and start those properly - set the roots, plant in the ground, then dig periodically and develop them from the start. Might be as fast or faster than trying to use these.

That said, you can certainly experiment with one of these, learn how to develop the next trunk segment, learn how the tree responds to pruning, root work, etc.

Top Bottom