Small oak root stand

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Thought I might put this here, as there's a forum specifically for stands and I haven't posted many of mine. A few shots of a new shohin-sized stand (height is 45mm, diameter of the roughly-rounded top is 130mm). Made from oak burr wood. The material is pretty rough and a pain to work with, but I'm quite pleased with the way the natural patterning on the top has come through. This piece was the smaller of the two in the final photo, I now need to get to work on its big brother...

P1050074 by Tom B, on Flickr
P1050052 by Tom B, on Flickr
IMG_4226 by Tom B, on Flickr

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Oh nice! I love these stands and have wanted to make one for years but lacked the right material. Never seen one from oak and that’s a really good job I think! Do you have any idea how many hours went into this?

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Oh nice! I love these stands and have wanted to make one for years but lacked the right material. Never seen one from oak and that’s a really good job I think! Do you have any idea how many hours went into this?
Thanks. I wouldn't choose to use oak, except for the burr patterning on these bits. The best material I've used for carving was Tulip poplar. I'm interested in trying walnut although I've not done it yet.
Hours ... I honestly don't know. At a guess, somewhere between 15 and 30 hours for this one - two or three long sessions and a few shorter ones.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I don’t think you would like carving walnut much. The fibers are coarse, stiff, and brittle. But it can be done.

That is quite a few hours! But sounds about like what I would have guessed. One reason these are rare and expensive (for good ones) I expect - plus the cost of the material.

Top Bottom