Small Olive Stump Experiment

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Well I decided to try a little experiment
à la
Doug Philips. It is my first time with this method after wanting to try it for years. Not a fantastic specimen so it won't be a huge deal if it does not work. We have been having heavy monsoon rains and I have heard that is the right time. I cut this little stump off last night and soaked it overnight in a bucket of diluted humic acid. Then I sawed it flat.

100_0335.jpg 100_0336.jpg

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Then I carved around the base at roughly a 45 degree angle and screwed it to a small chunk of plywood.

100_0337.jpg 100_0338.jpg 100_0339.jpg

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Finally, I dusted it with some root-tone F and planted it in a large rectangle strainer from the $.99 store.

100_0341.jpg 100_0342.jpg

We'll see what happens!

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Good luck! It should work. I would wrap a plastic trash bag over it and keep it in shade so the bit of foliage will survive and help the trunk to root.
Si

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I've done the same thing to Ficus cuttings before. It worked pretty well. Good luck with this one.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It should root well.

Call me next time and I will send you a better looking piece of plywood! I hope it roots before the plywood disappears cause that one looks pre-rotted:p

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good luck with it. From what I've read it is not a problem rooting olive.

I have 3 yaupon holly branch cutting about 2.5" to 3.5" diameter that I planted a month ago. They are just chopped and stuck in dirt after some rooting hormone and seems they are taking. One is sending lots of shoots already. :)

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good luck it will be neat to see what happens. I would feel better using the old piece of plywood myslef just for the fact that most the harmful stuff like glues and chemicals should have leached out of it by now.

ed

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Yea Smoke that plywood is pretty rough. I found it laying in my back yard. I wanted to give it a go before I tried a really nice stump.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It should also work well with pomegranate.
Bonhe

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
It should also work well with pomegranate.
Bonhe

Yea I would think so Bonhe. They also seem to root pretty well. I have had the best luck taking cutting just prior to bud break. Give it a go it would be neat to see the results.

Top Bottom