Small P. Afra / Spekboom

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've never seen a corking bark variety. I have a green and varigerated green/white variety. Where did you get this?
There was a vendor selling only those at the Huntington Library (Bonzaiathon event) in CA and his story is that it is a genetic defect that occurred on one of his trees (only one/mother ship) and he keeps taking cuttings off it, grows them and sells them at bonsai events.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There was a vendor selling only those at the Huntington Library (Bonzaiathon event) in CA and his story is that it is a genetic defect that occurred on one of his trees (only one/mother ship) and he keeps taking cuttings off it, grows them and sells them at bonsai events.

I’m not sure of the real story, but I’ve read (below) that it originated in a Florida nursery in the ‘60s and Mr. Bogan started propagating it for bonsai. Frank Yee also propagates them and sells them at Bonsai-a-thon. The Huntington offered them in 2015 as part of the ISI sale. Weirdly, I acquired one from Bogan’s Bonsai online, then saw them offered from the Huntington and then saw Mr. Yee’s. So I have them from all 3 sources even though they are all from the same original stock and look identical.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I’m not sure of the real story, but I’ve read (below) that it originated in a Florida nursery in the ‘60s and Mr. Bogan started propagating it for bonsai. Frank Yee also propagates them and sells them at Bonsai-a-thon. The Huntington offered them in 2015 as part of the ISI sale. Weirdly, I acquired one from Bogan’s Bonsai online, then saw them offered from the Huntington and then saw Mr. Yee’s. So I have them from all 3 sources even though they are all from the same original stock and look identical.

Exactly, I knew Florida was involved in this story, Frank is the guy if anybody is interested in acquiring any of these corkers.

LCD35

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Awesome, thanks for the info!!

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
They don’t grow on their own, they develop dense thick shrubbery that you can literally hide an elephant in, or a whole herd of elephants if you ever visit Addo National Elephant park in South Africa.
So they don’t grow on their own in Africa?

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I don't think so, I have ones that are pretty old and are smooth barked and then the ones Frank sold me which are cork bark ones.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So they don’t grow on their own in Africa

Yeah they do, but because they root so easy from cuttings that falls when animals feed on them, they form new dense thickets readily. As said above they are most prolific in the Addo elephant park in the Eastern Cape in SA.
There actually is huge areas there called Spekboom veld..."veld" meaning fields.
But yeah the odd old ones are seen growing solitary.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So they don’t grow on their own in Africa?
No, because wherever a leaf or branch falls, it’s very likely to start growing. It’s not easy to spot a lone tree, there will always be a couple more around it

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Here’s another reference and also a great monograph:

“A corkbark form has been brought to RJB's attention by David Bogan of Lynnville, IN in a personal e-mail 03 Oct 2009. "I recently obtained a seemingly very old (cutting started in the 60's) Portulacaria which exhibits very unusual bark characteristics. The plant was obtained from a tropical grower who used it as a stock plant for cutting for many (20?) years. The grower claims it was originally obtained as a cutting from a plant grown in Florida. According to the original owner, he has always called it a 'cork' bark Portulacaria and it exhibited this characteristic from early on."

RJB proposes that this be entered as a new variety and be labelled "var. corticosa”.”

eb84327

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
i just got a cork bark p. afra "frank". i got it off 99 cent bonsai on f.b. It came from frank Yee. i have a bunch of cuttings i am rooting. I had a hard time getting one.

Attachments

• cork bark.jpg
    cork bark.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 28

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
i just got a cork bark p. afra "frank". i got it off 99 cent bonsai on f.b. It came from frank Yee. i have a bunch of cuttings i am rooting. I had a hard time getting one.
Looks good, looks like it needs to recover from the shipping trip, nice get! I don't think they wire very well, not flexible enough and will just snap.

eb84327

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Clip and grow is how I commonly train and shape these guys. I have one branch, down low, wired. I agree it's tough to wire these guys.

Pic was taken the day of receiving it. It was priced a little high maybe but I have wanted one for some time. $150. Plus $20 for shipping

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Clip and grow is how I commonly train and shape these guys. I have one branch, down low, wired. I agree it's tough to wire these guys.

Pic was taken the day of receiving it. It was priced a little high maybe but I have wanted one for some time. $150. Plus $20 for shipping
Thanks, last question, was it shipped to you in a pot or you potted it when you received it?

Top Bottom