small pinus parvifolia

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked this little guy up for a cheap price, and as a long term project. I am thinking it will be cut shorter and developed as a smaller sized pine. I can't remember what variety this fella was, either Templehof or kokonoe. This was one of a bunch of propagating tests from the owner, so I didn't have to spend much. I know the white pines are less vigorous, and as such slower to develop. If any of you experienced with parvifolia have some ideas for development, I would love to hear them!IMG_5486.JPG IMG_5487.JPG IMG_5488.JPG parvifolia1.JPG parvifolia2.JPG

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's possibly Kokonoe. Kokonoe has buds that are rounded. I couldn't see any in focus in your pictures to make a determination. I'm not familiar with that other cultivar.

How was this propogated? A graft? Cutting? Airlayer?

All the pictures are from the same side of the tree, so it's difficult to see how the branches come off the trunk.

It has some good movement down low. Eventually you'll have to chop it. If you continue to let the apex grow, the trunk will get thicker, but you'll have little taper. See if there's a place where another sacrifice can grow lower down to build taper.

I'm thinking it would do well in a larger colander for a couple years to bulk up.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's possibly Kokonoe. Kokonoe has buds that are rounded. I couldn't see any in focus in your pictures to make a determination. I'm not familiar with that other cultivar.

How was this propogated? A graft? Cutting? Airlayer?

All the pictures are from the same side of the tree, so it's difficult to see how the branches come off the trunk.

It has some good movement down low. Eventually you'll have to chop it. If you continue to let the apex grow, the trunk will get thicker, but you'll have little taper. See if there's a place where another sacrifice can grow lower down to build taper.

I'm thinking it would do well in a larger colander for a couple years to bulk up.
These were trees he was practicing different graft techniques I believe. I agree with you that it should head to a colander for growing out. I will look for another lower branch that could become a new sacrifice. I do think it is kokonoe as well. Thanks for your help!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
These were trees he was practicing different graft techniques I believe. I agree with you that it should head to a colander for growing out. I will look for another lower branch that could become a new sacrifice. I do think it is kokonoe as well. Thanks for your help!
If it was indeed Kokonoe, grow it for now on the existing roots. It will grow more vigorously. Once you have the trunk you want, then airlayer it to be on its own roots.

One thing to be careful of with Kokonoe is that the branches can thicken up quickly. It's almost as if the branches thicken faster than the trunk! Make sure your "keeper" branches don't get too thick.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You really think this was grafted? I dont see evidence of a graft on that trunk (?)

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it's grafted it's buried or the best graft I've seen,seems you found a good nursery

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it's grafted it's buried or the best graft I've seen,seems you found a good nursery
If the lowest branches are on opposite sides of each other (so that it looks flat from the side), it may have been propagated by air layering a branch.

I have a Zuisho that was created by airlayering a branch, and I've had to work to pull the lowest branches forward so they wouldn't stick straight out to the sides.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I know Zuisho layers well plus you can strike cuttings,did not know kokonoe will layer

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I know Zuisho layers well plus you can strike cuttings,did not know kokonoe will layer
Yep. They act pretty much the same.

I have a Zuisho that ground layered. I have a friend that has a Kokonoe that ground layered.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At least you had a show! With real people and real trees I assume?
It really was great to actually "be allowed" to share our trees with the public. Everyone was clearly overjoyed to be out, and socializing. The last year and a half have been terrible.

Top Bottom