Small raised bright green bumps on leaves..

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a tiny Senegalia burkei sapling that has suddenly developed what look like tiny bright green bumps on the newer leaves. It has rained quite a bit here lately so I was thinking maybe it’s simply Edema. Or possibly some sort of mite attack although I haven’t seen any signs of infestation?

Any ideas? I will try and post a picture later when I can stand up without my head threatening to burst 😆

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
E33AFB38-8AA6-4028-9B02-7B4B0A275224.jpeg

Got the kids to take a picture. The raised bumps are hollow on the other side so like a crimped effect. if it looks a little wet it’s just had a spray of neem.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, I would say, something living on it. I see these bumbs on my trees, and I conclude mites.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, I would say, something living on it. I see these bumbs on my trees, and I conclude mites.
Thanks, I’ll mix something up tomorrow and give it a good blast. Will also preemptively spray some other trees.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Doesn't make much sense that they would attack every individual leaflet of one leaf.
It's not very efficient.

I'd just pull the leaf.

Sorce

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It affects more than the leaf shown. If I pulled them all I’d be removing around 1/3 to 1/2 of the total plant. I’m loathe to remove so much of what would be deemed otherwise functional leaf especially heading into a time where new growth may be slowing down anyway.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It mite be mites on it , they are susceptible, or it might be something in the leaves. It is a bit hard for me to tell from the pictures.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are those what they call leaf galls?
I think you are spot on there. Which is better news than some other possibilities.

I found the following info on thespruce.com

Whatever the original cause, these organisms are usually not still on the leaf. The gall itself is the plant’s response to the irritation. It’s not unlike the bump you get when an insect feeds on you, except the leaf gall is not going to go away.

Despite appearances, the insect is not living in the gall, and it has left behind no eggs in the gall itself. It is very likely that once you notice the galls, the insects have moved on. Before they do, they can do a lot of cosmetic damage to many plants and in particular trees. Galls can also form on stems and flowers. However, leaf galls seem to be the most prominent and get the most notice.

It is almost always the fresh new, leafy growth that is attacked by the insects and other organisms which results in the presence of galls. Mature leaves are rarely affected. However many common trees are susceptible to leaf galls, especially when first leafing out in the spring.

Damage will be more considerable following a mild winter since more insects have survived and are hungry. That is true of any insect problem in your yard or garden. While the damage from galls won’t usually kill a tree, it can weaken the tree and may cause early leaf drop. A healthy tree will send out new growth and recover, but the loss of leaves and photosynthesis will weaken a stressed tree

Top Bottom