Small seeded Green Japanese Maple= small leaf?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So I have a ton of seed from Fw schumacher stating small seeded Green Japanese Maple USA.
I love this seed as it germinates only after 60 days cold stratification.
Some say it has a smaller leaf others say its the same.............
What have you ,anyone?
@William N. Valavanis

Thanks,
Curtis

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Only sprouted a group of 50 of them one time, if I'm not mistaken most of them had leaves that were a little bit on the smaller than average size but it varied. As far as I've ever heard these trees aren't selected or coveted because of leaf size. Only thing I've ever heard is that they make good root stock for some reason. Might be more about the parent tree anyway, only one way to find out

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
From the other side I have noted that seed collected from my trees with smaller leaves is mostly smaller than the seed from larger leaf trees so there is likely to be some correlation between small leaf and small seed. Most of my small seed, small leaf types grow much more slowly than the larger ones for what that's worth.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I have a ton of seed from Fw schumacher stating small seeded Green Japanese Maple USA.
I love this seed as it germinates only after 60 days cold stratification.
Some say it has a smaller leaf others say its the same.............
What have you ,anyone?
@William N. Valavanis

Thanks,
Curtis
What was your verdict on these seeds? Did they grow? How did the seedlings do? Are they slower growing with smaller leaves? Inquiring minds would like to know. I just planted about 1oz of these from schefield seed that were starting to germinate in the seed bed.

Top Bottom