Small shohin elm

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
This guy stands 7 1/2 inches off the pot (Dale Cochoy) rim. It is a root cutting from a larger cork-bark elm I'm working on. The cutting is about two years old. I've just started wiring some shape into the trunks. The tiny branches need wiring, too, but I'm not sure my shaky hands will ever manage that. I'll probably have to work with clip and grow on my smaller trees now.

This started out just as a large root I separated from the main tree. I left it in the pot and lo and behold it popped some leaves. When I repotted the larger tree I separated the tangled roots of the two, and plopped this one into a small plastic nursery pot. This is the result.

Suggestions welcomed.

Attachments

• 9-14 mini 1.JPG
    9-14 mini 1.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 9-14 mini 2.JPG
    9-14 mini 2.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 89

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Neat little pot. I kinda like the second shot for a front, something about the exposed part of the roots being thicker on the main trunk from that angle.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Neat little pot. I kinda like the second shot for a front, something about the exposed part of the roots being thicker on the main trunk from that angle.

Me too. I traded Dale a meal ticket to a convention banquet I didn't want to attend to get that pot. :p

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Me too. I traded Dale a meal ticket to a convention banquet I didn't want to attend to get that pot. :p

sounds like a win win for all (except for those who had to sit with Dale...)

JOKE, it's a JOKE!!!:eek:

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
jkl I think that's one of the most rewarding aspects of bonsai, seeing nature at work. Really nice little tree.

Top Bottom