Small Tridents

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This small Trident grouping is 13 inches tall. Five trees in a pot 6"x4"x1" by Gary Wood.

Attachments

• DSC_00021.JPG
    DSC_00021.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 448

Behr

Yamadori
Reaction score
Mr. Al,

As you are probably aware, I am not particulary fond of maples, but I am fond of good group plantings...I really like the 'natural' feeling this group has in the 'nude'...Great work...Thanks for sharing...

Regards
Behr

:) :) :)

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Al I like this, but I am not sure what the main tree with the smaller that close is doing to me. Did you try it with some separation? Not saying it's wrong at all, but the eye is drawn there. Did I say I like it though.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the closeness there, it gives the entire grouping a naturalness that might be lost by carefully spacing the tree farther apart. I like the way the far left tree leans out for the light and then seems to be bent by prevailing conditions more in the direction of the whole group. All in all, a very nice group planting.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful photograph.

I like the spacing as is.

I like the use of moss.

However, I would have personally opted for a slightly wider pot, a little shallower, and not have "mounded" the planting.

I think the main tree is potted too high.

Most of the trees have too thick of upper branches, ruins the overall perspective of the piece. The main piece has some upper branches that appear thicker than the lower.

The trees on the left and right lean perfectly natural. The rear tree however looks like it was bent to the left simply to fill in a space, this should be a little straighter or maybe the bend starts a little too low.

About 2/3 of the way up, there is a tangled custer of branches from three trunks that catches and holds the eye.

With some tweaking and ramification, this could be a very nice group.

Nice seeing it.

Will

Last edited:

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
However, I would have personally opted for a slightly wider pot, a little shallower, and not have "mounded" the planting.

I think the main tree is potted too high.
... these are all aesthetics Will.

Wider pot perhaps wrt shallower? wouldn't that exacerbate even more the feeling of the main tree sitting to high. I don't think the main tree can withstand a shallower pot (at present time). The mound is not overly pronounced and could be viewed as a hill top;) ;) ;)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In this end view taken from the left side it is easy to see that there is more depth than can be seen with the frontal view. The main tree along with it's companion (the thin one that is very close) are root connected. I have turned the pair 90 degrees to the left to take advantage of the main trunk being a little straighter as well as the companion tree.

When seen at this end view the main trees upper canopy structure makes a little more sense. It was developed for that view. Turning it as I did will require work to be done to the new view to help achieve better structure. Easy for me with a ten month growing season. Unfortunately, keeping branches this small on a trident is a very daunting task. The apical dominance of the tree keeps everything larger up top and more work. I sold four trees last weekend during the swapmeet which should leave more time for fine tuning more of my collection that needs it.

Below I have included an end shot and a close up of the very unique pot from Gary Wood. I have about 30 shohin pots from Mr. Wood, and I am sure that the shohin convention will grow my collection with more of his fine pots.

Attachments

• DSC_000211.JPG
    DSC_000211.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_000313.JPG
    DSC_000313.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 96

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As far as the size of the pot I decided to over emphasize the verticle aspect of the group. By placeing the trees into a much smaller container the verticle aspect is greatly increased. The trees in the smaller container give much more of "group" feeling than in previous containers.

Attachments

• 9DSCF03221-med.jpg
    9DSCF03221-med.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 195
  • sm3.JPG
    sm3.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 210

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for a look at some of your benches Al. Bottom row, second tree from the right. Is that a juniper you've posted work on before?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yup.

Yup. Needed a second yup to meet the minumum daily requirement of characters

Top Bottom