Small white worms in soil

Davevall

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Can anyone help me identify the small white worms looking creatures that are in the soil of my BRT and Bouginvilla? They are about an 1/8" long and constantly squirming around.
Hopefully you can see them in the pictures or video.

Attachments

• IMG_20201011_104154.jpg
    IMG_20201011_104154.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20201011_105450.jpg
    IMG_20201011_105450.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 64

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So sorry I can't see anything in the photo. It is a bit out of focus and I need cataract surgery.
I can see that the soil looks wet and I am betting on fungus gnat larvae. Have you seen any tiny little critters flitting around?

Davevall

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So sorry I can't see anything in the photo. It is a bit out of focus and I need cataract surgery.
I can see that the soil looks wet and I am betting on fungus gnat larvae. Have you seen any tiny little critters flitting around?
I do see even smaller bugs running around that look like tiny beatles and are kind of reddish in color. The worm looking things are almost a clear to white in color and 1/16-1/8" long.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Small white worms in soil sounds like nematodes to me, they eat dead and living plant matter. I regard them as parasites

Davevall

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Better picture uploaded.

Attachments

• IMG_20201011_110702.jpg
    IMG_20201011_110702.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 66

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nematodes are much smaller and most are harmless (and they are everywhere).
This does look like a fungus gnat but it's hard to see. Keeping the soil less wet will solve that.
The beetle like things are likely collembola, they are harmless and should be in your soil.

Davevall

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nematodes are much smaller and most are harmless (and they are everywhere).
This does look like a fungus gnat but it's hard to see. Keeping the soil less wet will solve that.
The beetle like things are likely collembola, they are harmless and should be in your soil.
From what I was able to find on line I think you are correct. They look just like fungus gnats larvae from the photos I have seen. They are very resilient and had to get rid of.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you sprinkle a little bit of ground cinnamon on the soil the fungus gnats will go away.
Regarding nematodes, indeed most are harmless in in the natural order of things, they are quite beneficial, as are most fungus, bacteria, protozoans etc.

Davevall

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If you sprinkle a little bit of ground cinnamon on the soil the fungus gnats will go away.
Regarding nematodes, indeed most are harmless in in the natural order of things, they are quite beneficial, as are most fungus, bacteria, protozoans etc.
Thank you !!

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now that’s an interesting little tidbit! Learned something new today.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is a small fly-like larvea. COuld be fungus gnats but also flies lay their eggs in fertilizer. In all cases keeping drier will help. In pretty much all cases they are harmless.

Top Bottom