Small World

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I seldom post here but there were the odd late night ravings on the old BT chat where the watch-word was "WODKA!"
And shima is island in Japanese and that's as far as I'm going.;)

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At an aquarium one day, I impressed my impressionable new wife by rendering a marvelous imitation of a grouper as one looked back at me through the glass of the tank. So my wife started calling me "Grouper." Apparently there are many on-line "Groupers," so I affixed the "52" because when I coined the name I was 52 years old and also born in 1952. On BSite, BTalk and now BNut I've gone by that name.

People would not be wise to try to mess with me in person, but I don't like to leave myself open for the unwise to try, so I prefer a bit of anonymity given the truly loose cannons found on the net with some regularity. I deal with loose cannons for a living, and don't need more of it than I already have. So I give my first name out to forum friends, but identify myself on the forum no further than that, and if I've not signed a post to you personally with my first name at some point, I prefer we stick to the formality of screen names until such time as we actually count each other as friends. :)

grouper52

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well the only thing I've been trying to figure out (and maybe I just missed it somewhere) is whether Gary Wood is 'the' Gary Wood... who is a smokin' hot bonsai potter in my book.

If so... I own quite a few peices of your work. :D

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Yes....he is!

I will start a thread dedicated to the work of Gary Wood and you can add some there of yours.

He is a unique potter.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My name comes from, well, my name.. My name is Louis Donald Hanson III.. I have always been called Don or Donnie just like my father and grandfather.. Hence, the 3rd Don.. but with 1 d..

As for newbies that don't think that Walter Pall doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground, well, their just that then... NEWBIES..

Thanks...that was Walter's point also.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I chose 'Walter Pall' because many folks see me and mistakenly call me 'Walter Pall' because I look very much like him. Sometimes I feel I am actually WP. But then I may well need some treatment.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
FWIW,

Recently on another forum, Irene quoted Behr Appleby as the person using the term "smoke and mirrors".

During the time of bonsaiTALKS infancy (2002) I started a sub forum over there called "Ask the Master" after inviting Walter Pall to moderate it and offer criticism. It shortly fell away after many newbies basicly told Walter he didn't konw his ass from a hole in the ground as so Walter moved on.

In an effort to garner more trees, Matt offered the tree of the day. This worked for a while and soon matt ran out of photo's to offer up for critiques. It was soon followed by anonymous posters offering their own trees to TOD, and it was during this time that I offerend a long winded critique of a group of tree planted on a stone. It was during this time I used the term smoke and mirrors, a term Behr used often after that. In fact Behr quoted me and my term for what bonsai "is" often. I am sure it can be found here. It was shortly after that I came to this forum and signed on as "Smoke" in memorium to that use of the word.

You have to admitt Smoke was better than being Mirror.....

Yes you originally pinned the words and I do recall that...But when I think of "Tanuki" or "Phoenix" I think of Behr's work...
Irene

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi V, I'm outed, thank you and Al for the kind words.
Wood

TpaBayFlyFisher

Seedling
Reaction score
Well...........

I am TpaBayFlyFisher all over the internet at sports, political and other boards and I chose that name because I live in Tampa Bay and well I guess you get the rest......now I wish I had a cool story to tell..............:(

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi V, I'm outed, thank you and Al for the kind words.
Wood

I've seen you at conventions up here... and have bought a bunch of pots from Lisa (Telperion) when they are at conventions. I buy them just for their beauty... then happily find something to put into them later. lol I love collecting nice pots. A good pot is an artform all it's own, and you and Dale Cochoy are two of my favorite American potters... hands down. I don't know that I have any larger pots by you, but the shohin - mame - accent pots are just beautiful to hold and to look at. :D

Glad to see you are not lurking any more... I've been wondering about you for a while. ;)

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am TpaBayFlyFisher all over the internet at sports, political and other boards and I chose that name because I live in Tampa Bay and well I guess you get the rest......now I wish I had a cool story to tell..............:(

Well considering I didn't know you could fly fish in salt water.... sounds like an interesting story to me. :D

V

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My name is Mary Beth and I'm a bonsai addict...... uhh, I guess this isn't the twelve step program for bonsai-aholics anonymous.
Actually all I did was shorten my name to initials. I go by M.B. or Mary B. at work and with some friends so without much imagination, just used it cuz I'm lazy.
Mary B.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Shortly after I got into bonsai my younger siblings started referring to me as "the ent," from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. I rather liked it, and calling myself "treebeard" followed easily.

When I first joined a bonsai forum (the old BT) there was already a "Treebeard" there. I was 55 at the time, so tacked that on to create a username. That's been my bonsai-forum username since.

I think it's clear that the question of using real names is best left up to individual choice. I can see grouper's point, but then Miss Vic has always styled herself as herself, and is obviously happy with that.

The only one that has me flummoxed is Walter Pall. I know I reveal my ignorance, but is there another Walter Pall, who looks like the man I've always thought was really named "Walter Pall?" :confused:

Cheers to all, Steve Moore

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I chose greerhw, because it's an anagram for greerhw.

keep it green,
Harry

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I chose Mojosan because I'm a lucky SOB... er.... 'san' , besides I was always being confused with the 'other' MattO.........;)

Top Bottom