Smallest Leaf Deciduous Species

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
There's at least one thread on smallest maple but I couldn't find one about this subject. I have some Holly (I know more broadleaf evergreen than Deciduous) bushes out front my yard and was thinking, "Wow! the leaves on this are incredibly small." I know leaf size isn't everything when creating bonsai, but it got me thinking, does anyone know what are deciduous species with the smallest naturally occurring leaf in relation to their maximum size as a non-bonsai plant?

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don’t know about non-bonsai but seiju elm bonsai leaves a pretty damn small especially mame.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Chinese elm in general have very small leaves by comparison. All cotoneasters have small leaves, at least some of them are deciduous but I am no expert on those. Boxwood also have very small leaves but those are evergreen like the holly.

Once I started working with chinese elm I got rid of all my maples. No need for defoliation or any special techniques, the amount of detail you can pack in a small space is impressive.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cotoneaster microphylla Cochleatus has tiny leaves, but might not be deciduous in most but the coldest regions.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The smallest leaf species I have observed is the Hokkaido Elm, smaller cultivar than Seiju Elm. This picture of my Hokkaido Elm in the fall should give you an idea of the foliage size! My Seiju elms have leaves at least twice the size of the Hokkaido cultivar! This Tree is 12 inches tall overall for perspective.IMG_9148.JPG

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The smallest leaf species I have observed is the Hokkaido Elm, smaller cultivar than Seiju Elm. This picture of my Hokkaido Elm in the fall should give you an idea of the foliage size! My Seiju elms have leaves at least twice the size of the Hokkaido cultivar! This Tree is 12 inches tall overall for perspective.View attachment 379933
Whoa! That is seriously small! Obviously im interested In eventually acquiring such a tree, butas for now i was re just more interested in knowing

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The smallest leaf species I have observed is the Hokkaido Elm, smaller cultivar than Seiju Elm. This picture of my Hokkaido Elm in the fall should give you an idea of the foliage size! My Seiju elms have leaves at least twice the size of the Hokkaido cultivar! This Tree is 12 inches tall overall for perspective.View attachment 379933
Wow! I covet that tree. I've only seen these as 4 inch tall twigs in our local nurseries. Wonder if there is a source of larger pre-bonsai Hokkaido material somewhere...

To OP: for something a bit different the Little Leaf bald cypress cultivar seems to have quite small leaves. I have one, but don't have a picture. From the interwebs:
brokenarrow00548.jpg

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not smaller than those already noted but nice small leaves nonetheless.

Pokemoke crape myrtle
20210609_183219.jpg
Brazilian raintree, although compound

20210609_183249.jpg

Not deciduous as you noted with the Holly, kingsville boxwood, do not buy one of these thinking you will grow it out as they grow super slow
20210609_183033.jpg20210609_183107.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another small leafed deciduous to consider is a Kingsville Boxwood. Here is a photo of one of mine to gauge leaf size. this tree is six and one half inches tall. It is in need of a trim to establish better balance and flow in the design. Has been left to grow out for some time. They are slow growers!
IMG_1112.JPG

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

Pokemoke crape myrtle
View attachment 379945

View attachment 379946

Not deciduous as you noted with the Holly, kingsville boxwood, do not buy one of these thinking you will grow it out as they grow super slow
View attachment 379947View attachment 379948
NICE these are all great! I actually do have a dwarf crepe myrtle i hard pruned the roots and branches (was a nursery find in late summer last year styled like a bush) late winter from the 3 gallon pot it was in to a small 5 inch oval. I thought I had killed it for SURE. but a few weeks ago it started pushing out sucker growth, and now it's budding all over ther trunk! I'll post a pic if I get a chance today!

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

Pokemoke crape myrtle
View attachment 379945

View attachment 379946

View attachment 379947View attachment 379948
without the bear bottle for scale I would have sword this tree was bigger lol awesome! How old is that one? I'm in rock hill not too far from Bella Bonsai, and they always have a number of kingsville boxwood

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not the smallest by any means, this is a Luma Apiculata from Brent. The pond basket is 8" diameter. Picture is from Feb-Mar this year after repot, I'll try to get a picture today.

Luma bark 2.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The smallest deciduous leaves that I keep.. are Dwarf Yuapon holly...
B0FB4CE1-CF2C-4C5B-AB6C-7D9DF35154AA.jpeg
But I have a Sugarberry (One of the Hackberries) that’s REDUCED leaves are just as.. if not smaller... I’m not reducing them THIS growing season. or else I’d share.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Kingsville Boxwoods are deciduous?!

I did not know that.

Just realized that the Yuapon holly is evergreen.. dang.

Top Bottom