Smart pots as field/ground alternative?

siggie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi all! I knew it wouldn't be long before I had a question for the group... :) I apologize if it's been asked, but my search didn't turn it up.

Are smart pots an acceptable alternative? For various reasons, I'm hesitant to put some very young trees (practically cuttings really) in the ground and am seeking an alternative to accelerate growth a bit. The plants I'm asking for are Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum Kashima), Japanese apricot (Prunus mume), and Dwarf Pomegranate (Punica granatum Nana). I also have a Lilac Vine (Lonicera syringantha), but wasn't sure if that would benefit from the same.

Thanks in advance!

siggie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Also check Anderson Flats http://www.stuewe.com/products/anderson.php
esp TFLAT and their trays.

Ah, thank you! Nathanbs suggested that too and I hadn't googled it yet.
So, the grid/open bottom of this would provide similar air circulation right? That's the idea?

Edited to add: Are these widely available? Where could I find one?

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It is my understanding and expierence with any non-tropical seedling or sapling is that they have the fastest and best growth in ground if you plan to keep them as outdoor plants - why are you worried and what plants are you worried about? Seems to me if you are able to keep those watered and provide temp shelter from Crazy weather spurts they should be ok...

siggie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It is my understanding and expierence with any non-tropical seedling or sapling is that they have the fastest and best growth in ground if you plan to keep them as outdoor plants - why are you worried and what plants are you worried about? Seems to me if you are able to keep those watered and provide temp shelter from Crazy weather spurts they should be ok...

I ordered them from an online nursery before I had read enough to know better than to get such young plants because I can't do anything with them but watch them grow. They arrived in small tubes last month, so I potted them in rectangular plastic bonsai training pots. Now, I'm thinking it's probably better to put them in the ground. The issue there is the yard is heavily landscaped/styled and I am not the owner and a gardener maintains it, so I wasn't sure about "adding to the design" so to speak or that the gardeners would leave my plants alone when they have to maintain everything else. Also, the dogs have gotten sprayed by skunks a lot in the last year or so and more recently something's been digging up grass, so I'm worried about young plants getting eaten or dug up. The front yard might have some space right in front of the porch where I can plant them but that area gets afternoon sun and I worried that it would be too much/too hot particularly for the maple as I am in Los Angeles.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
If they are in the ground, full sun all of the way all day if possible. If in pots you will need to protect japanese maple a bit.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You might consider planting them in large plastic containers like rubbermaid or the type of ctns they use to feed livestock. Both are inexpensive and the feeders are normally heavy guage black plastic easily moved with a 2 wheeler. That would simulate a natural grow and give you the ability to move them to the shade side of the house if things get so hot water becomes a problem. I know it hardly sounds as ornate as Bonsai but I have been moving around seedlings and saplings for a few years now and lost almost none of them. I can actually work on 20 or so this Spring after waitng so long but I find it my speed - slooooooooooooooooow :eek:

siggie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If they are in the ground, full sun all of the way all day if possible. If in pots you will need to protect japanese maple a bit.

Really? Maybe the front yard/porch area is a possibility then! Yay! I'll go take a look around and see if I see any possible spots to plant them.

siggie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You might consider planting them in large plastic containers like rubbermaid or the type of ctns they use to feed livestock. Both are inexpensive and the feeders are normally heavy guage black plastic easily moved with a 2 wheeler. That would simulate a natural grow and give you the ability to move them to the shade side of the house if things get so hot water becomes a problem. I know it hardly sounds as ornate as Bonsai but I have been moving around seedlings and saplings for a few years now and lost almost none of them. I can actually work on 20 or so this Spring after waitng so long but I find it my speed - slooooooooooooooooow :eek:

Is this the kind of container you mean? Would I need to add drainage holes?

Would I run into overpotting issues doing that or using smartpots?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Really? Maybe the front yard/porch area is a possibility then! Yay! I'll go take a look around and see if I see any possible spots to plant them.

I think you will feel better about it, and remember to drill drain holes in the ctns... Seems to me if you have Skunks you have enough damp ground that snails and grubs live nicely there as it some of their favorite food - do not concern yourself with Skunk eating your plants themselves. And yes on that type of ctn - but check with local feed mill type places like Agway or Tractor Supply as well - they many times have better prices...

If they are very young plants I would not worry over potting - you want growth! If it concerns you using a tube method will force more downward root growth and enable you to possibly do some ROR in a few years.

Keep the Maples seperate - If you landscape is mature you can easily move them under larger trees and provide them they shaded light they prefer.

Last edited:

siggie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hmm. There is one spot way in the corner of the yard that might be more shaded. I think what I'm going to do is take a few photos of the spots I'm considering and get further more specific guidance from you all.

For now, here are the skunk-scented backyard security duo. :p

DSCF5983_zps862b5d98.jpg

geoff hobson

Seedling
Reaction score
field/ground cultivation

The reason for planting trees in the ground is to get thicker trunks fast. It is as effective in a large container but will tak longer. In the ground they have unrestricted root runs, and are unlikely to het too dry. I planted a Trident Maple last year, and it made two feet in growth, and I pruned it and it grew more. The age of seedling does not matter they are hardy trees.
It will still take 4 to 5 years to get to any kind of usable size unless you want to have mame size trees,
Geoff

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The reason for planting trees in the ground is to get thicker trunks fast. It is as effective in a large container but will tak longer. In the ground they have unrestricted root runs, and are unlikely to het too dry. I planted a Trident Maple last year, and it made two feet in growth, and I pruned it and it grew more. The age of seedling does not matter they are hardy trees.
It will still take 4 to 5 years to get to any kind of usable size unless you want to have mame size trees,
Geoff

I agree but it it is what it is - She has the plants already, has the ability to make it work, and the time to make her smile :cool:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I use mostly strainers from the $.99 cent only store and some pond baskets. I just repotted a Vitex and here is what the roots look like using a pond basket.

IMG_0353.jpg

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Hmm. There is one spot way in the corner of the yard that might be more shaded. I think what I'm going to do is take a few photos of the spots I'm considering and get further more specific guidance from you all.

For now, here are the skunk-scented backyard security duo. :p

DSCF5983_zps862b5d98.jpg

Very cute dogs Siggie! And so much Green! lol I see a nice juniper right there in the ground to the right of the white dog. From what I can see, it'd make a very nice bonsai. Maybe ask to buy it from the gardner?? lol

siggie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Very cute dogs Siggie! And so much Green! lol

Thank you! There's about 3 weeks where we get these pretty fall colors and then it's all blown and gone. They've done a nice job choosing plants so there's always some color though, even if mostly just the Sacred Bamboo in the back. Speaking of bamboo though, there's also a big clump of that and the dogs love to eat it! I thought this was SO strange. They don't really mess with any of the other plants, but they just stand there and chew on the bamboo!

I see a nice juniper right there in the ground to the right of the white dog. From what I can see, it'd make a very nice bonsai. Maybe ask to buy it from the gardner?? lol

Does it ? I didn't even realize that's a Juniper... The needles/leaves? are softer I think, if memory serves. I will so dig it up and plant a rose bush instead and hope he doesn't notice! ;)

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Does it ? I didn't even realize that's a Juniper... The needles/leaves? are softer I think, if memory serves. I will so dig it up and plant a rose bush instead and hope he doesn't notice! ;)

Take a better pic and show it to us first. If you'll do it...better replace it with another (younger) juniper LOL ;) they are cheap ...finding a good mature trunk is the problem.

BTW, collecting them may also be a problem...you have to prepare and know what you are doing. I'd hate to hear later that it died.

siggie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Take a better pic and show it to us first. If you'll do it...better replace it with another (younger) juniper LOL ;) they are cheap ...finding a good mature trunk is the problem.

BTW, collecting them may also be a problem...you have to prepare and know what you are doing. I'd hate to hear later that it died.

I won't go digging willy-nilly, I promise! I want to have more experience before I collect anything that I didn't plant myself for the purposes of this hobby.
Besides, I think I might be able to find older Junipers that are better shaped by nature in the mountains anyway when I'm ready for that challenge. When is the best season to collect Juniper any how?

Also... I just lucked out BIG time I think! I just met one of the groundskeepers and the supervisor on the campus I work at and they basically told me to have at it with the oldest part of the campus because the buildings in that area are coming down in the next few years. I had asked about air-layering a branch of these OLD camellias and they said oh yeah no problem, cut whatever you want. And I wasn't even wearing the road crew uniform discussed in Nathan's fig yamadori thread yesterday! Hahah! ;)
Before anyone asks, I can't collect them because they did say that they are going to try to transplant what they can. It's the beginnings of a relationship though and I'm excited about that. Some of the shrubbery he told me I can just pull up but before I could find a way to explain I didn't want groundcover type stuff, he pulled out a clump and handed it to me (see below). LOL! Not sure where to stick it or that I want it. :-|

5003dbe2d1bd94562ff75c63b121099c.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom