Smart Remarks :-/

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
First I want to start by saying that this site is very helpful and informative...

ok...

So, I've noticed that smart remarks are constantly dished out (especially to the newcomers) to Bonsai. People, myself included (especially newcomers) join these types of communities to be educated and to learn from more experience people, certainly not to be discouraged. For example, I've read one thread where the guy received so much "criticism" that he lost a bit of love for his tree! That makes no sense. Don't get me wrong, joking around is one thing (that's perfectly fine) but being a complete jacka** is another. There are definitely members here who are extremely helpful. They are very much appreciated! I may get banned from this site for this thread, but I hope that it makes this forum better.

Thanks.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't think you'll get banned.
Not today. I understand how you feel.
I think the new folks see the old timers dishing it out so they think they can talk big sh*% too.
I have participated in some trash talk and I am not proud of it.
I hate when I see members being ganged up on. Everyone deserves to be able to participate in this hobby if they choose to.
This forum has many skill levels and a wide range of zones- so what works for one may not work for all.
I do enjoy this forum and have gained a lot of good info.
My trees are not that good yet but I am getting closer.
I enjoying seeing the trees - there is some talented folks here.

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am not sure what "smart remarks" or what thread you are referring to. I understand your concern. However there are people here, myself included that wont sugar coat a bad tree and tell the person its a great tree when it isn't because we feel we are doing the person a disservice by not teaching them what they should be looking for in true bonsai material. I think people learn faster if you are honest with them. Sooner or later they will figure out that the material isnt good material and will know that people weren't truthful if they were told it was great material.

We were all beginners once and we all made the newbie mistake of buying bad trees and we all had to learn what makes a good candidate vs a bad one. I will agree there are better ways to go about it such as explaining why it isnt a good tree.

That said, there are many of us who do believe that new people can learn things from trees that will never become good bonsai such as how to keep the species alive, how to repot, how to prune, how the tree responds to pruning, etc. Start to learn on cheaper material so that, if it dies its not a big loss isn't a bad thing. Once we learn and have confidence that we can keep things alive, we can then invest in better trees.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome...when I first joined I thought it was some sort of hazing. But, come to realize...no, its not just the newcomers. Trust me when I say its dished out to new and old alike.

What I have learned...don't try and distinguish a fire. Your best efforts only add fuel to the fire.

There is a ton of knowledge to be found here. Some amazing archive facts to be found in the search engine. If ones see your attempting to learn from even asking questions by referring to an older thread. You gain their respect. They as my son calls it...lose a bit of respect when expected to spoon feed a person.

I try and be respectful to all...if you stand out as one who does so...I find ones basically offer it back at you.

If a post goes sour...use the back button and back out of a thread...especially if it will bother you. I find it easier to do that then try
and be a peace maker.

It is what it is...there is a lot of valuable information to be gained...tone can not be heard in text. What one meant in jest can backfire quickly. Sometimes its meant to cause a ruckus...some actually don't mind it. Grabbing popcorn if you will...following along.

There is an ignore option. But, I have only put ones who I felt personally attacked me on it. Because I do know that there are ones here who do rub ones the wrong way at times...but still have much value in the information on bonsai. So to ignore all...one surely misses out.

There is a ladder of rungs one takes when they pick up bonsai as a hobby. When one offers some negative information on material sometimes it can hurt...but, also understand its a growing stage. Trust me when I say...I've had a few honest folk state their opinions on a tree or two. Two years in now, and I can agree with their thoughts on them. I have planted deeper a hot mess of roots I once thought cool. I have put one into
A fairy garden because of its roots. Three will make lovely landscape. I see that now. Would it have been better they lied to me...I think not. How but does one learn...if not by honesty. Sometimes the truth hurts. But understand we have ALL been there in that stage. Of seeing potential in something that in 20 years will still be mediocre. Its a great feeling when you finally "see" it through your own eyes. Nothing is a mistake if a lesson is gleaned from it.

Enjoy your journey. And again...Welcome! Sorry so wordy. I got away from myself.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The smart person on a forum is the person who can come back the next day and read everything that went on the day before and honestly figure out what went wrong.

For instance you wrote this: "join these types of communities to be educated and to learn from more experience people".

Put your self back in grammer school and the rules of the day you had to live by. Be respectful of the teacher, no talking out of turn. Be respectful of the other students, and don't argue with the teacher. If someone coming to a forum and truly wanting to learn can be humble and apply these ideas without question, then much can be learned here.

If on the other hand you question everything in the wrong way or puke on the people giving advice, (no matter how its delivered), remember your asking for the help, you have to take like it comes or go find some where else to find your answers.

Lets start here; My name is Al Keppler, been on forums 20 plus years, whats your name. When people know your name its a little tougher to be a jerk. This is a small community. There's a lot of info here, use it wisely, welcome.

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
First I want to start by saying that this site is very helpful and informative...

ok...

Ahh, I remember making a post like this when I first joined... Has it been two years already? If I only knew then what I know now...

Welcome, and enjoy the ride!

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Lets start here; My name is Al Keppler, been on forums 20 plus years, whats your name. When people know your name its a little tougher to be a jerk. This is a small community. There's a lot of info here, use it wisely, welcome.
Hi Al, It's nice to meet you. My name is SP Davis, Jr. I appreciate your comments and I am looking forward to continuing to learn and ask questions as I continue on this journey.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Al, It's nice to meet you. My name is SP Davis, Jr. I appreciate your comments and I am looking forward to continuing to learn and ask questions as I continue on this journey.
Good for you, can't wait to see some swamp trees...

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
remember your asking for the help, you have to take like it comes or go find some where else to find your answers.
Yes, we are all asking for help and advice..To be honest with you my friend, I've been on plenty of forums from a variety of different disciplines and hobbies, and have never been told to take it like it comes or go somewhere else to find your answers. Smh.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I started here in 2011. My name is Denise.
When I saw people fighting I added them all to my friend/follow list so I could watch the sh*% fly.
If I added you as a friend in 2011 - you know who you are.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, we are all asking for help and advice..To be honest with you my friend, I've been on plenty of forums from a variety of different disciplines and hobbies, and have never been told to take it like it comes or go somewhere else to find your answers. Smh.
...and there it is......

I rest my case. Obviously you don't have what it takes.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you break it down isn't that how life works though?
You ask a question- it goes unanswered.
Do you continue to seek your answer elsewhere or just give up?

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I humbly thank everyone for your comments. I appreciate it!;)

Last edited:

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you tried the Arboristsite?
Not being smart, just wonder because you say other forums and hobbies.

Top Bottom