Smart Remarks :-/

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hey man! Give ya two guesses what my name is...

Glad to have you! Sure... Plenty of dust ups will happen around here- more than you'd expect I guess... This is BONSAI we are talking about after all... But you cannot let them get you down. Just make your points, try to stay civil and ask for help from people when you need it, not at every whim!

The thing that I think drives people crazy the most from newcomers is asking a question that has been answered/ discussed a THOUSAND TIMES before when 30 seconds of searching the site could have given them 6 pages of answers to their question. So, if you want to avoid getting on to he wrong side of some smart remarks, maybe do a quick search before you ask people to... Talk about soil or something real basic that always gets ugly and that we have all had LENGTHY discussions on numerous times! Search, read and if you come with a more specific question you cannot find answers to that is a great time to start a new thread!

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey man! Give ya two guesses what my name is...

Glad to have you! Sure... Plenty of dust ups will happen around here- more than you'd expect I guess... This is BONSAI we are talking about after all... But you cannot let them get you down. Just make your points, try to stay civil and ask for help from people when you need it, not at every whim!

The thing that I think drives people crazy the most from newcomers is asking a question that has been answered/ discussed a THOUSAND TIMES before when 30 seconds of searching the site could have given them 6 pages of answers to their question. So, if you want to avoid getting on to he wrong side of some smart remarks, maybe do a quick search before you ask people to... Talk about soil or something real basic that always gets ugly and that we have all had LENGTHY discussions on numerous times! Search, read and if you come with a more specific question you cannot find answers to that is a great time to start a new thread!
I have found if you ask google the question it will take you to the exact part of a forum that it is answered.

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
I felt the same way as you not long ago. There will be snarky comments from time to time. More than you'd think. I wonder if other hobby forums are like this. Like if you joined a fly fishing or pottery forum would some old grandpa or granny give you the business

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You talking about my bet?

Lets make it sixty!

I kid I kid.

But seriously, its true.

Best to know you know nothing, or everything bad will happen.

"Her body language spoke like a smart remark"-Common

Sorce

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
First I want to start by saying that this site is very helpful and informative..
So, I've noticed that smart remarks are constantly dished out (especially to the newcomers) to Bonsai. People, myself included (especially newcomers) join these types of communities to be educated and to learn from more experience people, certainly not to be discouraged. For example, I've read one thread where the guy received so much "criticism" that he lost a bit of love for his tree! That makes no sense. Don't get me wrong, joking around is one thing (that's perfectly fine) but being a complete jacka** is another. There are definitely members here who are extremely helpful. They are very much appreciated! I may get banned from this site for this thread, but I hope that it makes this forum better.
Thanks.

You dont get banned here for being a hippie, also not for smart remarks

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting thread, and one that most of us have at some point considered starting I am sure. But there truely is not much more annoying than people asking how their 1year old juniper cutting can be grown into a kokufa worthy specimen. And then get annoyed when they are told to bin it, get 10K from the bank, and buy a suitable tree, if that is the aspiration level. If you want advice, take it. If you do not, don't ask. But that is my personal opinion.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I admit it. I'm guilty of smart remarks. It's who I am. I can't hardly pass up anything I can throw a smart remark at. There are others too. The thing about smart remarks is it shows me people that can use their mind quickly.
Now,if you don't like smart remarks with your bonsai,there are other forums that jocularity and smart remarks aren't welcome. They also are very dull places to visit. But if you want dry, humorless,your tree is awesome comments those are the places for you.
As for me,expect smart remarks at anytime,anyplace. I'm way worse in person.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I admit it. I'm guilty of smart remarks. It's who I am. I can't hardly pass up anything I can throw a smart remark at. There are others too. The thing about smart remarks is it shows me people that can use their mind quickly.
Now,if you don't like smart remarks with your bonsai,there are other forums that jocularity and smart remarks aren't welcome. They also are very dull places to visit. But if you want dry, humorless,your tree is awesome comments those are the places for you.
As for me,expect smart remarks at anytime,anyplace. I'm way worse in person.
Lol ... You crack me up at times. "Way worse in person".

I think you do a poster injustice if one doesn't point out flaws that can cause reverse taper and such. I have seen places which do sing the trees praises...when the flaws can cause serious issues. I can't see where anyone gleans any steps to furthering their bonsai walk with ones withholding advice.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Way worse in person".
You don't know the half of it. My wife just shakes her head most times in public,but there are times she is horrified at what I say to complete strangers.
If we can't have fun in life,is it worth living? I know to new people here some of the remarks and comments can seem snobbish,ludicrous and sometimes hurtful but we eventually pull out an answer or two.
Stick with it. This is the best bonsai forum. Period. More active members with more knowledge than the others and more responses to questions. Every question eventually gets answered. Other forums actually have a button for unanswered posts. If there's one here I haven't seen it.
And please,anyone who wants to answer my posts with smart remarks feel free. I won't mind. I'll smile and try to toss one back.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You say you join "these types of communities to be educated and to learn from more experience people, certainly not to be discouraged" Well, um, the flip side of that is you're asking for something for free. Something that has taken some of us decades to learn. The people that have ben doing bonsai for any amount of time are devoted to it and are mostly crusty old a-holes. ;-)

Also FWIW, sometimes getting a decent education REQUIRES some discouragement. Would it be better if we just said "great job" on everything you post/say? Would it be better if we were humorless net bots that provided your free instructions and then shut up? Should we Let you continue going down futile roads with crappy stock and bad technique? Or would you rather have us provide sometimes barbed (but mostly not) expertise?

Sorry, I'm being very cynical and a little pointed. Bottom line: Yeah, we're a fractious lot, prone to spouting off about stupid crap. It's just part of the admission price...You just gotta learn to put your hip waders on and recognize stupid stuff and move on.

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I feel that some have taken what I posted as "I'm not grateful for advice". And that's completely not the point that I was trying to make. I openly welcome all advice, I mean that's why I signed up, right!

What I'm referring to is the smart remarks before or even at all ANY advice is actually given.

Also, as I stated before guys/gals, joking is one thing, but being a jerk is another. There's a thin line.

Lastly, I most certainly & definitely know what & how "paying the price of admission goes", & I say that because I'm currently finishing up my Ph.D program on (October 5th) to be exact & I've had plenty of "constructive criticism" from Academic Ph.D's dished my way over the course of 3 years so trust when I say, I know how it works. (if some folks in Academia aren't some of the most uptight group) haha. j/k

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We're not looking for grateful. We don't really care all that much. Our best intentions are to get more people involved with bonsai because mostly we love it and misery loves company ;-)

What most of us old-timers DO want is a bit of respect and not to be called jerks. Some of us are, most are not. Newbies have to not get their knickers in a twist over bonsai trollery or a mis-placed sense of humor.

There is also a tendency on bonsai sites (especially from newcomers) to be hypersensitive and to read things into remarks that aren't there. (As an aside, I was once accused of being a snob because I said Louisiana collected Bald Cypress was more winter hardy in my area than Florida-collected BC. A Florida poster-new at the time--took some kind of insult to his home state). Also, put this in perspective, even if someone DOES personally insult you (which is about as rare as an ivory billed woodpecker sighting)in post on a bonsai forum--WTF, IT'S THE INTERNET and it isn't the end of the world. Hit "ignore" and get on with it.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I feel that some have taken what I posted as "I'm not grateful for advice". And that's completely not the point that I was trying to make. I openly welcome all advice, I mean that's why I signed up, right!

What I'm referring to is the smart remarks before or even at all ANY advice is actually given.

Also, as I stated before guys/gals, joking is one thing, but being a jerk is another. There's a thin line.

Lastly, I most certainly & definitely know what & how "paying the price of admission goes", & I say that because I'm currently finishing up my Ph.D program on (October 5th) to be exact & I've had plenty of "constructive criticism" from Academic Ph.D's dished my way over the course of 3 years so trust when I say, I know how it works. (if some folks in Academia aren't some of the most uptight group) haha. j/k

I get what your saying...I've taken a leave of absence to regroup at times. But, the knowledge is here...if I see a thread turning sour...I avoid it. Hit the back arrow and just back out of it. You are not the first and surely not the last to address this issue at hand. Some grab the popcorn and sit on the side lines. Some back out of the thread. You decide your own fate...you can read on...or back out. That's what I come to understand. No one forces me to read what I can see turning sour. If you take that stance...you will find this site more enjoyable. Sometimes...it's just a little dust in the air and I read through. Knowing I have the control on how I decide to use the forum and what I read...I'm a sensitive person...I can handle ones tossing stuff at me to a degree. But, when it's directed at another person. I turn momma bear. So I back out. Trying to diffuse only adds fuel to the fire.

Wishing you well on your journey...but, remember you can choose to back out of a thread if it turns sour. If it upsets you...just don't go there. I personally take that stance. Those members do it for sport I think at times...more so than anything. But, they also for the most part...have a lot of years of knowledge. So...chew on it...understand sometimes it's better to back out than to place one on the ignore list. If you feel personally attacked...then by all means use the ignore list. It erases them from view. You can enjoy the forum without seeing anything they post. Trust me...it's a good thing at times. You just need to make sure your not losing valuable information along with your choices to do so. Thus...the only few on my list...personally attacked. Remember set your own guide lines on what works for you...when your on any forum. The back arrow is always an option.

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
What most of us old-timers DO want is a bit of respect and not to be called jerks. Some of us are, most are not.

I have much respect to all oldtimers & newcomers alike. If you are striving for anything of the betterment of oneself, through whatever avenue one desires to undertake, you have my respect.

Im not calling any particular person a jerk. I won't do that because I do not know any of you personally. More like "jerk-like" tendencies.;)

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And <---tell him about your handmade tools.
Oh yes, the handmade tools. I have been making handmade tools for Bonsai just for friends, and posted them on a thread I made called tools you have made for Bonsai, here they areimage.jpg The tools have gone over very well, actually I have been swamped with orders since I made that thread and posted the tools, but not all threads I have made have gone as well. I have been making a soil and selling it for years with no issues everybody that Is using it loves it, so I made a thread called a soil everybody will love. Big mistake! Without even trying it numerous people on this site slandered and bash my soil, I offered to send out free samples which I have sent out a lot of free samples, but even without trying the soil who lots of people in the United States use and love.
So don't get discouraged just keep pushing through no matter what sport or forum you will catch other peoples BS,mostly jealousy.
This is your world and you know what you want, go for it.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You most certainly did NOT get bashed and slandered. People were responding to the posted pictures and asking questions for the most part. Maybe one or two were not so nice, but considering you started a thread called "soil EVERYBODY will love", I think you got off pretty easy!

I have the sample you sent, it's a very small amount and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it.

Top Bottom