Smart Remarks :-/

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You most certainly did NOT get bashed and slandered. People were responding to the posted pictures and asking questions for the most part. Maybe one or two were not so nice, but considering you started a thread called "soil EVERYBODY will love", I think you got off pretty easy!

I have the sample you sent, it's a very small amount and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it.
Well,image.jpgDon't know how many of these you could pot with the sample, but this is where we all start, seeds.
I had someone ask me to send thirty of those samples to them.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seriously? Dude, you're hijacking this post because you are disappointed in your customers, or simply want to insult them as being "jealous" because they don't like your product?

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seriously? Dude, you're hijacking this post because you are disappointed in your customers, or simply want to insult them as being "jealous" because they don't like your product?
The floor is yours;)

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Speaking of smart remarks; what the heck kind of PhD can you buy in three years?! Certainly not any of the hard sciences. So, what is it; communications, business, underwater-basket-weaving, network-admin. . . ? There, now that I've done the thing you're whinging about, welcome to crazy.

Seriously though, the criticism my trees and I receive here is how I know I'm in the right place. Show your mom a picture of your tree if you want to be told it's beautiful. Maybe I'm the crazy one, but I would love to meet a bunch of these cranky ol' snarks in person and just have a beer. Maybe it's just because I'm a curmudgeon in training.

I think the funniest (and I speculate most frustrating for the old guard here) thing that happens is when a newcomer asks for advice, gets some they don't like, and then pushes back hard. They go on about how you have to "break the rules" or explain what they are "going for" in an apparent effort to justify not taking any of the good advice they just asked for. I think the options for our experienced elders at that point are to have some fun with it, or stop answering questions; I'm glad most of them choose the former.

I think the majority of the reaction to your post has been a good natured (if a little snarky) "get over yourself and just go with it." It's what I did, and my hobby is better and more fulfilling for it. Join us . . .

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is BONSAI we are talking about after all...

I once went to a bonsai forum and a hockey game broke out;)

There have been some good disagreements on this site but it shows the passion that people have for the hobby. If you told someone not into bonsai about arguments over the best substrate, they would probably call you crazy.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
maple seedling.jpg

1. Needs to be pruned (shown in red)
2. Trunk has no taper
3. Trunk has no movement
4. Trunk is too tall for pot
5. Need to improve nebari
6. Planted too far to the right in pot
7. Planted in the wrong kind of pot
8. Work on reducing leaf size

Other than that, it looks great! Your tools are great but the work you’ve done on this tree sucks. Have a nice day.
(Is this “Smart” enough Mike Fray?) (Just kidding with you Adam) :D

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Oh yes, the handmade tools. I have been making handmade tools for Bonsai just for friends, and posted them on a thread I made called tools you have made for Bonsai, here they areView attachment 81689 The tools have gone over very well, actually I have been swamped with orders since I made that thread and posted the tools, but not all threads I have made have gone as well. I have been making a soil and selling it for years with no issues everybody that Is using it loves it, so I made a thread called a soil everybody will love. Big mistake! Without even trying it numerous people on this site slandered and bash my soil, I offered to send out free samples which I have sent out a lot of free samples, but even without trying the soil who lots of people in the United States use and love.
So don't get discouraged just keep pushing through no matter what sport or forum you will catch other peoples BS,mostly jealousy.
This is your world and you know what you want, go for it.
The tools look really cool! Let me know when the swamp of orders go down & I'll place an order! Indefinitely want those!

Also, I appreciate the comments, I'll never get discouraged, ...it's life!

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 81713

1. Needs to be pruned (shown in red)
2. Trunk has no taper
3. Trunk has no movement
4. Trunk is too tall for pot
5. Need to improve nebari
6. Planted too far to the right in pot
7. Planted in the wrong kind of pot
8. Work on reducing leaf size

Other than that, it looks great! Your tools are great but the work you’ve done on this tree sucks. Have a nice day.
(Is this “Smart” enough Mike Fray?) (Just kidding with you Adam) :D
Kidding or not, I agree.:)

Reactions: Vin

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Speaking of smart remarks; what the heck kind of PhD can you buy in three years?! Certainly not any of the hard sciences. So, what is it; communications, business, underwater-basket-weaving, network-admin. . . ? There, now that I've done the thing you're whinging about, welcome to crazy.
Well sir, my Ph.D will be in Bioresource engineering...

I was working towards my Ph.D program as I was working on my Masters in Environmental science.

So technically 6years.

Carry on

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
“A dead thing goes with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.”
-GK Chesterton

Not to say that there are times you should go with the stream.

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I leave comments like that, but like most "jokes' there is a grain of truth to my "feedback". I have fun with it and take the same and laugh at myself too. I like getting feedback this way- as I always understand humor, but I rarely take "criticism" well!

Top Bottom