Smart Remarks :-/

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If he got no thumbs, what did he just put in your butt?

Boom!

Lol

Sorce

Kandoloh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello, I am addicted to bonsai. Oh wait this isn't Bonsai Anonymous? In that case my name is Chris, aka Tex, aka Mr. H. And I am addicted to this forum.

Kandoloh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wanna hear a dirty joke?

A white horse jumped in the mud. Pretty dirty huh?

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hang in there, bud! No honor in shaming anyone. Just having a little fun :D

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I said Louisiana collected Bald Cypress was more winter hardy in my area than Florida-collected BC.
What is wrong with you making such a claim. It is not important that I do not live in the states, do not know the species and have only been in Luisiana once, Florida twice in my life. I just do not agree. :D

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
WTF, 6 yrs for a bloody PhD. Where I did mine, you would have been kicked out after 5.
If you want to actually be a scientist, conducting and publishing research & teaching at the university level, 6 years is about right (so they tell me in the biological sciences). If you're doing "applied science" (i.e. advanced vocational training) 3-5 is reasonable.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you want to actually be a scientist, conducting and publishing research & teaching at the university level, 6 years is about right (so they tell me in the biological sciences
Not in my experience.:) I did my PhD in satellite data processing. Developing models that link light reflection to plant chemical composition, and using this to map nutrient content of plants acros the landscape. Sounds like science? Including 1 1/2 years in the field in Africa and supervisoing MSc students. Submitted the thesis after 43 months, got the title 5 months later, almost to the day 4 years after starting. Max time allowed in the group was 5 years.

Anyway; I should have added :D after my remark; It can be tough if you are not tough with your supervisors. I have a friend working on their thesis for 6 years, now indeendently from home, expectin to submit it as an external promovendus eventually.

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
I considered academia before going to law school. Since I didn't care for law practice, for a time I regretted not doing it, but I understand now that both fields suffer froM a similar problem. Too many schools are training too many students and there are not enough jobs to be filled. When I was in law school 2000-2003 I read in a legal periodical that there more law students in law school then there were actual practicing attorneys.

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
WTF, 6 yrs for a bloody PhD. Where I did mine, you would have been kicked out after 5.
Actually it depends on how in depth you take your research. The length of obtaining a Ph.D varies from person to person (even in the same major/program). For example: One major professor may demand more from one student than another major professor does of his/her student. Or the student him/herself may not be satisfied with their work and wants to continue and publish more papers.

I also spent a year in China assisting Ph.D candidates with research that evaluated the spatial patterns of ammonia oxidizing archaea (AOA) community composition and diversity in two subtropical forest stands in Dinghushan National Reserve South China.

Where did you receive your Ph.D?

Last edited:
Top Bottom