HxqlJiV.gif

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you guys wanna start a bird thread?
Lol
Or are you giving each other the bird???
No, no. I thought we were showing our tits! I expected responses showing tats, or maybe beads (Mardi gras). But this thread has a life of its own, as @alexbonsaiguy noted

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
bonsai is an art form and there are some guidelines yes but there is also a sense of ones own expression that goes into ones trees. We need to keep that in mind
Truths. This should be an official bonsai motto.

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have much respect to all oldtimers & newcomers alike. If you are striving for anything of the betterment of oneself, through whatever avenue one desires to undertake, you have my respect.

Im not calling any particular person a jerk. I won't do that because I do not know any of you personally. More like "jerk-like" tendencies.;)

A while back I had some fun on the subject, never got my project off the ground though...:

"There are a lot of jerks in the surf line-up too, not sure who takes the cake here...
Might be time to start my own 'Jerk' thread; I can post comments of my trees like, "you can tell this tree was made by the hand of a master Jerk's man". Other jerks will be welcome to post there too. Then we could have a year long contest, "the Jerk off" and we'll see who's the biggest jerk with the jerkiest tree. I think this site has a polling function."

But that's the thing, have fun with it.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
A while back I had some fun on the subject, never got my project off the ground though...:

"There are a lot of jerks in the surf line-up too, not sure who takes the cake here...
Might be time to start my own 'Jerk' thread; I can post comments of my trees like, "you can tell this tree was made by the hand of a master Jerk's man". Other jerks will be welcome to post there too. Then we could have a year long contest, "the Jerk off" and we'll see who's the biggest jerk with the jerkiest tree. I think this site has a polling function."

But that's the thing, have fun with it.
Haha; nice.
You could also start your own forum: Bonsai Jerk
;)

EDIT: just checked and www.bonsaijerk.com isn't being used . . .

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I bet that if you take it seriously but using a comic tone, that blog will go places!
Name is very catchy

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I bet that if you take it seriously but using a comic tone, that blog will go places!
Name is very catchy
The very thing that keeps me away from blogs in general is the word blog. Hearing myself say, "check out my blog" or "I posted on my blog..." would make me want to kick myself in the nutz.

*EDIT but I actually think you're right.

My thoughts on this threads topic:
The apprentice system has created a staunch, strict and competitive learning environment. The very tradition is bred, engrained, exemplified [as the pursuit of perfection] and expressed in the [Traditional] Art. In the Americas and Europe, we are free to study [bonsai] as we wish by, in the absence of such a system, assimilating info and questioning generations-old techniques with little to no consequence. The result of our steep learning curve seems to be produce individuals who learn quickly by their tireless efforts in sifting through garbage and only taking away sound knowledge. However, along the way some of these individuals wish to carve their place in the young history of American Bonsai, putting others down as they do so. The Id and Ego seem to crave the attention and respect that comes with being an authority on the subject. A lot of this is expressed in the behavior we see here; so maybe a better blog site would be:
"Talking [sometimes drunk] monkeys on a soap box" - guilty as charged...

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A clearer metaphor might be "it's like handing a monkey the car keys and a bottle of bourbon" and it applies to newcomers as well as old times. Too often newcomers are MORE out to impress than old timers.

How many threads and individuals have passed through here threatening to "revolutionize" bonsai with their "unique, forward thinking groundbreaking" techniques "that are being suppressed by the bonsai 'powers that be?'" I'd have to take off my shoes to keep count of them. When someone claims they don't need to follow rules or listen to anyone except that precious "artistic" voice in their head to produce world class trees, it's two big signs on the short jerkitude aptitude check list.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
"I signed up because the word "BONSAI" is in the title."

Haha, the word "NUT" is also in the title. The ratio is variable ;)
Having been often kicked in them, I noticed it is called ”NUT” (singular) and I figured it was meant just for me.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
It must be time …..

A Birch tree was growing in close proximity of a Beach tree. One morning the sun came up in the forest and lo and behold, there between them was a sapling. ”Hmmmm”, thought the elderly trees, ”I wonder which one of us is the father?" Just then a woodpecker flew in. ”Say there Mr. Woodpecker! You're an expert on trees and we're much too tall to have a closer look at this young whiper snapper. Can you tell us if it's a birch or a beech, please?” The woodpecker flapped his wings and alighting on the young tree and started to do what woodpeckers do. ”So”, asked the two, ”what is it?” The woodpecker sighed and smiled, and he said, ”Well now, it is neither a son of a birch nor a son of a beech! That my friends is the best piece of ash that I have ever sunk my pecker into!”

Top Bottom