Smoke and Mirrors - 016

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zelcova

On Saturday The 13th my Girlfriend and I went to Ed Clarks for a look see. I hadn't been out there for three years. I was really surprised. All the landscape maples are gone. So many cultivars are gone forever. Ed did all the propagating there and sold wholesale commercial for decades. I was able to find a few things I wanted in all that there is to choose from. I will be back. I have some cuttings he wants!

I found this zelcova sitting on a bench of one gallon elms and zelcova's. The trees are in bad shape and Ed said they have not been repotted in 7 years. The trees are pretty small for seven years but that is due to the brick nature of the cans. when you pick one up, it weighs a ton and the sides of the can have no flex at all. Solid as a brick. I picked out one that I thought I might make something with after a number of years. This one has a good trunk and lower base with a nice flare and it went all the way down into the pot and tapered out very nicely. No bad roots to contend with, just a nice trunk beneath the soil. Of course what on top is a mess.

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

I started working down the top and choosing which parts I would keep. I cut off all that I didn't want and began shortening down the keepers. At this point, I feel that I will shorten even some of the long ones a little but I have no idea how this tree will bounce back after the repot I did. So I will update in a few weeks when I see how it responds.

DSC_0041.JPG

So right now the tree is cut down to 6 inches tall. With a two inch canopy I can get it into a shohin exhibit and not feel bad. The trunk is 1 1/4 inches across at the bottom right now and flares a little more under. being this is just middle of April and we have been pretty cool for April here I decided that I might save a season repotting it now and get it growing strong. Working on the top like that, it wouldn't make sense to not take advantage of losing all the top of the tree and wait until next year to make it strong.

So, Off with 3/4 of the root ball. Try my best to tease out what I can and repot. Lots of roots still so I think it will be OK. A look around.

DSC_0001.JPGDSC_0002.JPGDSC_0003.JPGDSC_0004.JPGDSC_0005.JPGDSC_0006.JPGDSC_0007.JPG

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Cool progression series! Definitely going through all 16 tonight. Thanks.

Did you get a pic of the nebari?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool progression series! Definitely going through all 16 tonight. Thanks.

Did you get a pic of the nebari?
Thanks. No, it was getting late and the repot was kind of spur of the moment as it was getting dark. I'll get a picture next time. Not much to look at anyway. Just a round flat pad around the base.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks good Smoke.
I will be following this thread to see where you go with it.
Off to a great start for sure.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Pic #3 looks like a good prospect with a bit of an incline to the left.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Today marks 11 days since I cut it...and repotted it.

DSC_0037.JPG

Pulled back the soil a little to expose the solid plate of wood buried just beneath. About 3 inches in diameter. At next repot I wish to expose it more.

DSC_0038.JPG

Top Bottom