Smoke Tree

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I picked up this Cotinus coggygria last fall. It has some interesting movement on the live vein side but better base when viewed from the deadwood side. It has 3 branches coming from two different levels.
I wired a bit of movement into it at different levels for now. Going to trim it back a few times this year. Not sure if that will negate the smoke affect. I know @sorce and @defra have some experience. 20200428_174943.jpg20200428_174953.jpg20200428_174958.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice.

I enjoy mine.

What I noticed this year, was quite the definitive difference in the size of buds further out, large,and closer in, small.
Consequentially, the small buds are also on closer nodes.
Noted because I almost cut off the large ones, but then thought of how that will turn the small ones large.

It may be key to leave these sacrificial longer nodes in fall, so in spring, they sap they "large energy", perhaps taking into account a nice, if rather far extending, flower display, cutting back to closer small nodes after, which will in fall, shoot the short node small bud to larger node large bud pattern again.

You can make out the close nodes in these, but the buds are so small, most cant be seen. I think leaving 2 Farther nodes is sufficient, this has 3 or 4. Some dead tips too maybe, or just slower.

_DSC1999.JPG

Sorce

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for the information. They definitely have a unique look and growth habit. Are you cutting back 2 times in a season? I suspect this terminal bud strength may make ramifications more difficult. Still worth it.! The fall color on this one is amazing!

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There is an issue with some leaves and stems turning black. I've been constantly removing the black leaves and treating every month with either systemic fungicide or copper spray. It still looks healthy enough to be pushing new growth. Just wondering if this is normal. This is my first year with the tree so any ideas what is going on would be a great help! 20200807_081818.jpg20200807_081832.jpg20200807_081855.jpg20200807_081917.jpg
I've been watering every day.
It's in boons mix.
Under 45 percent shade cloth.

Top Bottom