Smoking Down in Michigan!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
California's experience would suggest it's harder than you think. As soon as cannabis became legal the state starts imposing regulations and taxes. Then the counties take their cut. Then the local govt adds some more tax. The state requires legal cannabis to be certified for safety, so each lot needs to be tested for residual pesticides, solvents, heavy metals, microbial contaminants, fungal toxins, etc. The guy with a green thumb also needs some significant start up capital to get an income stream established.

Yeah, back about five years ago a friend of mine came to me and asked me about starting up a grow operation. He was confident marijuana was about to be legalized for recreational use (as it was in 2016. It had been legal for medical use since 1996). I told him that he had to stop thinking about it like a "grow a few plants in my closet" business, and think about a large commercial greenhouse setup, like for hot house tomatoes, but with tons of government oversight at the local and state level, and a question of legality at the federal level - with associated problems dealing with the IRS and cash management - including theft and organized crime. I told him he'd make more money growing orchids - with significantly less hassle.

At the end of the day, I think it will be an interesting case example in economics. So much funding, so many people entering the market, cost, regulatory and price pressure driving profit margins to the bone so that only the largest and most efficient operators stay in business. I wouldn't touch it (the grow market) with a ten foot pole.

Many feel as if they’re on a death watch of sorts, waiting to hear about more layoffs or company closures, stemming from a chaotic mix of high taxes, a lack of local buy-in, high barriers to entry, skyrocketing compliance costs and unforeseen complications – including the vape crisis...

Not only has the number of businesses operating legally in California shrunk by tens of thousands, but in late 2019, cracks began to appear in the licensed market – a hint that many legal operators might not survive despite immense demand for quality cannabis in the state.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m hoping WHEN it is legal in PA that the legalized bill includes oppertunities for home growing profit.The last bill I seen does promote this for a small fee.
Can make nice income with a good perpetual harvest setup to supply local demand at dispenseries.I heard you really have to have your game on though if you want to compete and have a nice product.Demand would be so incredibly high that you could potentially make some extra income.
The dispenseries are always low on stock around my locale.
You can potentially harvest 1/2-1lb a mnth quite easily with three tents!!!!!
Already researched this.......need a good fkn’ bill passed now that helps everyone.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m hoping WHEN it is legal in PA that the legalized bill includes oppertunities for home growing profit.The last bill I seen does promote this for a small fee.
Can make nice income with a good perpetual harvest setup to supply local demand at dispenseries.I heard you really have to have your game on though if you want to compete and have a nice product.Demand would be so incredibly high that you could potentially make some extra income.
The dispenseries are always low on stock around my locale.
You can potentially harvest 1/2-1lb a mnth quite easily with three tents!!!!!
Already researched this.......need a good fkn’ bill passed now that helps everyone.
Here you are allowed to grow a lot.
I see plants in a lot of back yards around here.
My nephew grew 24 Gorilla Glue plants that are looking to produce about 2 pounds of buds per plant.
12 are mine.
What will I do with 24 pounds of weed?
SMOKE IT DOWN!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Trying some o’ dat fancy silicone stuff...I was that “only pure glass” jerk-wad for a long time, as a young’n.

This is from Zombie Joe’s basement in texas.. 14 dollars-ish.

(This picture WAS taken BRAND NEW thus “clean”, y’know? ‘Cause I live in Wisconsin. 🤣)
6CBF07DE-1FF4-4B21-ADF5-3D30BCC34829.jpeg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here you are allowed to grow a lot.
I see plants in a lot of back yards around here.
My nephew grew 24 Gorilla Glue plants that are looking to produce about 2 pounds of buds per plant.
12 are mine.
What will I do with 24 pounds of weed?
SMOKE IT DOWN!
The last proposed bill in PA actualky was a homegrowers dream of being allowed to supply dispenseries!!!
I know what I would be doing with 24 lbs of weed😆

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Done weed a few times when international friends did not want their fellow countrymen to know about it. Never done anything for me. Very odd.

Top Bottom