Snapped branch, any chance to root ?

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
Someone snapped a branch off my maple (kids?) in my yard. Is there any seniario where I could root this thing this late in the season?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pretty close to zero. BUT ...

You might see what happens if you refrigerate them over the winter, like stratifying seeds. You might sear the ends of some with a torch as this may help (i.e., find out). Then, next spring cut back the ends, dust with rooting hormone and strike them. Every piece must have a node (a pair of buds) and not much will happen until the leaves are expressed, then it is a race against desiccation, so you will need to affect some kind of terrarium and keep them in shade.

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to answer. I don’t have much hope for it, but interesting answer. I do wish this happened in the spring....don’t have any maple bonsai yet....we will see what happens

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Depending on it's size, bring it in the house in a glass of water and see if it will root?
CW

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
With winter coming on, and rooting in water, you'll have to skip dormancy. For one year, that's usually not a big deal.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Depending on it's size, bring it in the house in a glass of water and see if it will root?

I don't think this would work, it's more likely the branch will rot, not root. Very few trees from our temperate regions can produce roots by staying in water, with the notable exception of willow(s).

It depends on the size of the branch: autumn cuttings might root, but the chances of succes are probably better for hard wood cuttings to root in late winter/early spring, before budbreak, in a protected environment like a glass frame outside.

Keeping some branches in sterile humid sand could perhaps be an option before putting them in grow soil...

Top Bottom