Snow... april's fools?

Juanmi

Mame
Reaction score
Hello everyone, we were having lots of sun and good temperatures here, and all of a sudden... snow.

The temperature shouldn't go under -2°C (we're at 2°C right now)

All of my pre bonsais (acer palmatums deshojo + atropurpureum, prunus pisardi, ficus carica, prunus incisa, acer buergeranum, zelkova serrata, chaenomeles japonica, malus, gingko biloba, callicarpa, fagus sylvatica) are outdoors, unprotected. They already had -2°C at night not so long ago and they seemed fine. Should I be worried about snow? Some of them are flowering.

Attachments

• 20220401_110753.jpg
    20220401_110753.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 29

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Well, it was just a small snowfall, it ended already. So, false alarm.
😉good deal!
Snowed here this week too. Not out of the woods yet!
Typically I just put plants that have leafed out or are blooming, under the benches if/when a late snow hits.
Happy spring!

ibakey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel your worries. I just brought in some tropicals last night that I placed out last week.
It is still snowing now but the snow melts quickly when it touches the ground in Paris so I'm not too worried at all.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
S
Hello everyone, we were having lots of sun and good temperatures here, and all of a sudden... snow.

The temperature shouldn't go under -2°C (we're at 2°C right now)

All of my pre bonsais (acer palmatums deshojo + atropurpureum, prunus pisardi, ficus carica, prunus incisa, acer buergeranum, zelkova serrata, chaenomeles japonica, malus, gingko biloba, callicarpa, fagus sylvatica) are outdoors, unprotected. They already had -2°C at night not so long ago and they seemed fine. Should I be worried about snow? Some of them are flowering.
same temperature and snow here too. It was 22c just a few days ago!

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Deshojo was leafing out beautifully, will see how that handles the sudden nose dive. My azalea are already super pissed with all the up down up down going on so not sure they can get any more sulky!

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
S

same temperature and snow here too. It was 22c just a few days ago!
We went to -3 with the windchill and with the ever thickening carpet of snow I relented and trudged out there to move them to a shed. Brrrrrrr

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I wouldn't worry for most of them, except maybe Callicarpa.

The problem is not the snow, it's how deep the frost. It's a short episode, there shouldn't be more than 3 nights slightly below zero (0°C, 32F). As long as the roots dont freeze for more than a day or two, it should be all right. Even if the leaves on some are burnt, they will bud back, no worries mate.

Comme on dit en français : "No problemo, hasta la vista baby"... 😁

Top Bottom