Snow Flake Tree #1

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looked it up, appears very similar to our native Chionanthus virginicus. If so, you're in for a treat. The flowers are extremely fragrant. Of all the plants in our yard, I look forward to it blooming more than almost any other.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Missed this in August but it comes up in "similar threads" right when I was about to all Antiga (Anti-garage) on some snowflakes...🤫.lol!

Looking forward to spring!

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Missed this too. It is something.
We have Chionanthus virginicus growing wild on our property but I doubt you could ever get the leaves to reduce that much. My leaves are about 5 - 6 inches long.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Snow Flake Tree #1 - The tree was shortened considerably because it was too high. Now the proportions are much better. All branches were wired thoroughly. The tree is supped to look more like a wild tree than a bonsai. This requires sacrifice of momentary beauty for future quality. The trunk is too thin and the taper is not good in the upper part. Therefore the lower part of the tree will be hedge pruned for a couple of years. This will look strange for a while, but it should, at lest partially, solve the problem. In about five years the tree should shine and have a thousand white blossoms that look like snow flakes2021-03-TSC_2909ofx.JPG2021-03-TSC_2910ofx..JPG

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These trees flower like clockwork for Mother's Day. My wild ones do. When I managed the tree section at Merrifield Garden Center many years ago, I really pushed this small flowering tree for Mother's Day, the busiest retail day of the year in garden centers just about everywhere.
I am really amazed at this bonsai because I would not have believed you could get that kind of ramification and leaf reduction. When things no longer amaze me, I will not want to live another day.

Top Bottom