Snow Tracks

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score

So this was considered not bonsai related on a the 99 Cent bonsai auction site....I was really disappointed in that community.
This was made specifically for bonsai display in mind. The rabbit tracks are moving into the distance, to accentuate the flow in a
Migi Katte, Hidari Nagare display. If any of you are interested I am offering this for $65.00 (including shipping and handling for 50 US states)

It would work best with a tree that sits on the right (if facing the display) and flows to the left.

If you have any questions, or want something more custom email to me at sales@customjapanesecalligraphy.com

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

So this was considered not bonsai related on a the 99 Cent bonsai auction site....I was really disappointed in that community.
This was made specifically for bonsai display in mind. The rabbit tracks are moving into the distance, to accentuate the flow in a
Migi Katte, Hidari Nagare display. If any of you are interested I am offering this for $65.00 (including shipping and handling for 50 US states)

It would work best with a tree that sits on the right (if facing the display) and flows to the left.

If you have any questions, or want something more custom email to me at sales@customjapanesecalligraphy.com
Sometimes bonsai sites run by some bonsai people that are arrogant, elitist, and holier than thou, tend to not see the trees for the forest.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As much as I like the presentation, the central image appears to me like a something artificial (like what you would get if you printed a photo from a laser printer). If the central piece was a watercolor, or ink, of the exact same subject matter, I would really like it! As it is, it feels artificial to me.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
can't tell if the image is a photo, as mentioned. It certainly looks like one, which is not a really a bad thing. It's a little too literal. with scrolls you're after ink/watercolor paintings that convey more than simple reproduced images.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Hmmm, looks like a legless rabbit to me?
reminds me of a book I read "Three Tracks In The Snow" by Wong Hung Low.
Hi...I would suggest you go to google images of animal tracks in the snow....Maybe this animal is running?

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
can't tell if the image is a photo, as mentioned. It certainly looks like one, which is not a really a bad thing. It's a little too literal. with scrolls you're after ink/watercolor paintings that convey more than simple reproduced images.
Hmmm...to each their own...We all have different tastes as to what a good scroll is.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi...I would suggest you go to google images of animal tracks in the snow....Maybe this animal is running?
I totally thought you were trying to be funny when I posted my comment. Now I will explain my comment since I guess you have no idea what I was referring. I have seen lots of rabbit tracks before, just not many that resembled a dick stamp in the snow? I would suggest googling dick print.
sorry it’s a nice scroll that resembles a dick hopping across the snow.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
I totally thought you were trying to be funny when I posted my comment. Now I will explain my comment since I guess you have no idea what I was referring. I have seen lots of rabbit tracks before, just not many that resembled a dick stamp in the snow? I would suggest googling dick print.
sorry it’s a nice scroll that resembles a dick hopping across the snow.
I understood your first post, which I found both distasteful and disrespectful. But you are welcome to do what you like and post what you want.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@kakejiku Just curious: Why isn't the dickrabbit scroll on display on your website? All I see are beautiful, traditional-looking painted scrolls. No photographs. Same with your other sites.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
@kakejiku Just curious: Why isn't the dickrabbit scroll on display on your website? All I see are beautiful, traditional-looking painted scrolls. No photographs. Same with your other sites.

They aren't, and a shashin kake or shikishi kake style scroll is just as common and popular in Japan as the ones you are referencing....

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
To me the entire art of bonsai is one of imagination. You are trying to evoke an emotional response by presenting nature in a specific stylistic way. For a photo on a scroll to work (for me) it would have to be figurative. A color portrait photo of a waterfall is like a sledgehammer; versus a black and white photo of a fallen leaf in a misty pond is much less direct.

Rabbit prints would work... But the print to me focuses almost as much on the shadowing of the snow as the prints.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
To me the entire art of bonsai is one of imagination. You are trying to evoke an emotional response by presenting nature in a specific stylistic way. For a photo on a scroll to work (for me) it would have to be figurative. A color portrait photo of a waterfall is like a sledgehammer; versus a black and white photo of a fallen leaf in a misty pond is much less direct.

Rabbit prints would work... But the print to me focuses almost as much on the shadowing of the snow as the prints.

Damn I get it....Jonathan get lost you do not know anything about display. We do not want your scrolls or your work, and we do not want to help and support you.
That is definitely the tone I have received from this last post.
1. It is obvious to me that @Bonsai Nut did not read the blog post attached to this link. Did this post mention anything about using with a bonsai display. No it was posted in response to the comment
Why isn't the dickrabbit scroll on display on your website? All I see are beautiful, traditional-looking painted scrolls. No photographs. Same with your other sites.

This scroll was made early in 2011 for an art open house at a photography studio gallery night. I never envisioned using this for a bonsai display.

2. As for the gutter related comments and thoughts related to the photo, I asked my friend who works for the following about his thoughts on the animal tracks
He has worked on projects with Lynx and Wolverine tagging and counting. So if anyone would know about this it would be him. This was his reply to the photo.
I assure you they were made by a member of the lagomorph family (rabbits and hares). They’re probably snowshoe hare tracks.

I’d love to see the Japanese scroll you made!

It is fine to comment, but making crude, non-constructive remarks says more about the poster than anything. And since no one commented on the stated flow in the
original post I am going to assume the community at large does not understand the concept or possibly the terminology in which it was used.

I have enough personal demons to fight than be a part of something that beats me down even more and makes me feel worthless.

To those of you who have supported me through the years and worked with me on your bonsai projects I thank you and wish you the best. You know how to get in touch with me.
To those who think I am a self-righteous, aggrandizing prick, you do not know me, nor do you know the time and effort I have put in to study about display.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have enough personal demons to fight than be a part of something that beats me down even more and makes me feel worthless.

To those of you who have supported me through the years and worked with me on your bonsai projects I thank you and wish you the best. You know how to get in touch with me.
To those who think I am a self-righteous, aggrandizing prick, you do not know me, nor do you know the time and effort I have put in to study about display.

Hey, man. I sincerely apologize. I honestly did not know rabbits make phallus shapes in the snow, and I thought you were having a bit of a joke. My comments were insensitive, and I'm sorry for any pain they caused.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My intent was to be helpful, and my comments were sincere. I didn't understand that your scrolls were not intended for bonsai... but were for an "art open house at a photography studio gallery night". However if you go back to your first post in this thread, you were commenting about the negative feedback you got on a Facebook Bonsai Auction site. Did you not literally state "this was made specifically for bonsai display in mind"?

Last edited:

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Honestly, I think there is a language barrier here, but understand that we intend nothing other than to add levity. We must be able to laugh and joke about art as well as take it seriously in the proper surroundings

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmm...to each their own...We all have different tastes as to what a good scroll is.
I saw a scroll with a similar idea a long time ago on Ebay. The art in it was a painting the ridge of a snowcovered hill. Five tiger paw prints were in the snow. They lead over the hill into the nighttime sky. It was powerfully suggested precisely because it wasn't a photo. It was evocative, not literal, as photos are, just as Monet's "Waterlillies" are mostl blobs of paint and not detailed reproduced flowers...

Top Bottom