Snowpack view.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice snowpack profile view here. Snow is starting to melt away from the fence so I poked my nose in to take a look. That’s a four foot spruce in the front and a seven foot juniper in the back so around six feet of condensed snowpack sitting on the trees. Poor things eh? Hope nothing is too squashed, definitely will build at least a small structure to protect the small to midsize more developed trees next year, they are usually fine but the anticipation kills me!
Cmon sunny days, melt that snow!

Prolonged soggy period coming up now, the roots spend a month or so basically submerged in icy, slushy water every spring. Doesn’t seem to hurt them somehow. 1DD4C428-D3F0-49E3-9796-367BD86EA258.jpeg

Random User

Reaction score
I don't mean to increase your anxiety, but I had significant loses last year due to a deep snowpack. Not only from broken trees, but those durn mice were running amuck beneath their wind proof hut and killed many trees. They loved my cherries so much they ate 50% of the rootball along with the lower stalk... not a one survived.

They also gnawed on a good number of amur maples, but those that did survive flourished.

I hope all is good with yours...

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This looks like my yard from last night's snow.

More on the way and our new Central Air Conditioning is being installed during it - WACKO in these parts :p

Grimmy

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't mean to increase your anxiety, but I had significant loses last year due to a deep snowpack. Not only from broken trees, but those durn mice were running amuck beneath their wind proof hut and killed many trees. They loved my cherries so much they ate 50% of the rootball along with the lower stalk... not a one survived.

They also gnawed on a good number of amur maples, but those that did survive flourished.

I hope all is good with yours...

Don’t worry about worrying me, any tragic scenario you can come up with has been sufficiently worried about already so no worries.
I’ve got some protection in place. Deciduous trees of any note are buried in pumice trunk branches and all. Important bits that I don’t want to lose anyways. All stuff I’ve started from seed so comviently small for now. I never used to worry too much about rodents and conifers until @Mfrary proved otherwise a couple years ago, can’t bury those in pumice, they go slimy black. I’ve got a cat who is a super hunter too, that helps. But there did seem to be a few more than usual of the hairy little devils around in fall and the first snowfalls were conducive to creating easy ground level travel this year so we’ll see..

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome BC snowpack! I miss the epic snowfall, and endless hours touring on the Karhus. I know your family fully takes advantage of the beauty conditions, trees can wait!:cool:

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We never have that kind of snow pack. Just random late snows, like this:

April 29, last year.
A216B44D-2ADA-4CD8-9D0A-45572D9EBBF1.jpeg
What’s your altitude there?

Top Bottom