So… do I repot?

ananta

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
As friends do when you tell them you’re into bonsai and just moved to a new house: they buy you a ficus from Ikea as a housewarming gift.

I know what the sentiment is regarding these on bnut and yes, they’re still my friends. I even started to take a liking to the largest specimen I bought, which I immediately chopped to get rid of the tuberino’s, planted in a relatively large pot and just left growing since January. Since then there’s been new growth and I’ve wired some branches:5A1270C6-D57A-4079-BDBA-973C3275167D.jpeg

Now I was thinking it would be way too soon to get this bad boy (judging by the root on the side) in a smaller pot with a coarser medium, but then I checked the bottom:

747863CC-6E85-446E-8D36-71D89165F1BE.jpeg

Are these roots peeking through and would it be wise to repot soon? If so, would I be able to put it in a more shallow pot? Do I put it in a larger training pot and try the technique with the board screwed in the bottom of the tree to attempt something resembling nebari? Or do I just leave it as is until the next repotting season comes along? AAAAAAAAAH!

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As friends do when you tell them you’re into bonsai and just moved to a new house: they buy you a ficus from Ikea as a housewarming gift.

I know what the sentiment is regarding these on bnut and yes, they’re still my friends. I even started to take a liking to the largest specimen I bought, which I immediately chopped to get rid of the tuberino’s, planted in a relatively large pot and just left growing since January. Since then there’s been new growth and I’ve wired some branches:View attachment 476680

Now I was thinking it would be way too soon to get this bad boy (judging by the root on the side) in a smaller pot with a coarser medium, but then I checked the bottom:

View attachment 476681

Are these roots peeking through and would it be wise to repot soon? If so, would I be able to put it in a more shallow pot? Do I put it in a larger training pot and try the technique with the board screwed in the bottom of the tree to attempt something resembling nebari? Or do I just leave it as is until the next repotting season comes along? AAAAAAAAAH!
I have some of these. I like yours. It looks pretty big for ikea.

What is your goal? Do you want fast growth? Slow? New roots? New pot? Different design?

Figure out what you want the tree to look like next year and then post what you want to achieve.

ananta

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I have some of these. I like yours. It looks pretty big for ikea.

What is your goal? Do you want fast growth? Slow? New roots? New pot? Different design?

Figure out what you want the tree to look like next year and then post what you want to achieve.
Thanks! It was the biggest size I believe.

Good thinking about setting a goal. I’m thinking of something shohin-sized sumo style. Kind of, sort of. Don’t think it’ll hurt leaving it in the pot and repot next year, like @Colorado commented.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Repot figs in warmer weather. No problem at all repotting in summer so you have a few months to think about what to do.
Ficus are tough enough to cope with a second repot so soon after an initial chop, especially if it has been growing well.
I'd be gentle when repotting so soon after major surgery. The new roots are often not well attached yet so rough handling can break off entire roots where they emerge from the previous chop sites.
Leaving it another year would be even better.

ananta

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Repot figs in warmer weather. No problem at all repotting in summer so you have a few months to think about what to do.
Ficus are tough enough to cope with a second repot so soon after an initial chop, especially if it has been growing well.
I'd be gentle when repotting so soon after major surgery. The new roots are often not well attached yet so rough handling can break off entire roots where they emerge from the previous chop sites.
Leaving it another year would be even better.
Thank you! I think waiting for a year would train me well in the patience part of bonsai. I have another (smaller) one that I only partially chopped, I might try to make that one look more sightly.

Top Bottom