So everyone got/getting their Fauci Ouchie? What are your thoughts?

Will you get or have you gotten your Fauci Ouchie?

• Yes

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Think it is a great idea but afraid there's not enough research

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Against vaccination, period

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Im young, my wife already had covid and since shes pregnant, the baby is going tk be born with the antibodies as well... my parents and in laws are all vaccinated...

I dont like that I cant choose which vaccine. Id like to get the johnson and johnson shot, which is a more traditional - insert dead cells into you - vaccine, instead of the RNA vaccine. As soon as I can sign up for that specific vaccine, ill get it.

If I were older, Id be more inclined to get the other shots immediately.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Im young, my wife already had covid and since shes pregnant, the baby is going tk be born with the antibodies as well... my parents and in laws are all vaccinated...

I dont like that I cant choose which vaccine. Id like to get the johnson and johnson shot, which is a more traditional - insert dead cells into you - vaccine, instead of the RNA vaccine. As soon as I can sign up for that specific vaccine, ill get it.

If I were older, Id be more inclined to get the other shots immediately.
Wow, we can choose which we sign up for in Ohio. Because of my being compromised...my boys got the Moderna. Our local health department is no longer offering vaccine clinics for the Johnson and Johnson. Because of the low turnout for them. But you can get them at the local pharmacies if one wants that particular one. Have you called your pharmacy? You are in another state...but my brother is in Louisiana and was able to get his at his local pharmacy...and chose which one he wanted.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have not. Im not in a group which can currently sign up, to my knowledge, but when it is opened up to me, Ill definitely reach out to my pharmacy/doctor.

I do think that the mass vaccination by Moderna and Pfizer with the RNA vaccine is a great opportunity to study the long term effects if that type of vaccine. Hopefully it opens doors to cures and vaccines in the future.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have not. Im not in a group which can currently sign up, to my knowledge, but when it is opened up to me, Ill definitely reach out to my pharmacy/doctor.

I do think that the mass vaccination by Moderna and Pfizer with the RNA vaccine is a great opportunity to study the long term effects if that type of vaccine. Hopefully it opens doors to cures and vaccines in the future.
My doctor isn't offering them...but again could be an Ohio thing. Yes, pharmacies are permitting an option. I can't see why you can't get your choice when the time comes.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I’d also prefer one the non RNA vaccines if I am able to choose, mostly because the rna vaccines are playing with a previously untested type of vaccine technology.

According to Wikipedia there are quite a few options out there now:
As of April 2021, 13 vaccines were authorized by at least one national regulatory authority for public use: two RNA vaccines(the Pfizer–BioNTech vaccine and the Moderna vaccine), five conventional inactivated vaccines (BBIBP-CorV, CoronaVac, Covaxin, WIBP-CorV and CoviVac), four viral vector vaccines (Sputnik V, the Oxford–AstraZeneca vaccine, Convidecia, and the Johnson & Johnson vaccine), and two protein subunit vaccines (EpiVacCorona and RBD-Dimer).

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am a bit concerned about side effects from the 2nd shot. But will find out next Monday...

Don't forget... for the most part, the side effects are what shows your body already has a strong immunity reaction to Covid-19. The chills, achiness, low fever, are not caused by the vaccine... but by your body's reaction to it. The first shot your body didn't know what it was facing, but the second shot your body recognizes the vaccine and immediately ramps up a response.

Just got my first Moderna shot ten days ago, and can't wait for the second. If I had to guess, somewhere around 1/3 of all adults 18+ will not get vaccinated, so the virus will be bouncing around this country somewhat indefinitely. Get the vaccine... or get the disease. As far as I'm concerned, those are your two choices, particularly considering the fact that even vaccinated people can still get it and spread it - they just won't have strong reactions to it because their bodies will have ramped up defenses. People hanging out hoping for herd immunity are rolling the dice.

Last edited:

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hopefully it opens doors to cures and vaccines in the future.
If this thing works, we can basically train the body to attack anything we choose. From bacteria to possibly every single type of cancer as long as we can find out how it differs from the rest of the body.
This has great implications in both ways; one screw up and we'll create a new offspring-transmittable autoimmune disease, the plus side is that we can eradicate cancer. Even the ones that can't be treated right now. And.. It wouldn't even take a whole lot of money. A couple million per type of cancer.

The key to fighting cancer with the least amount of damage is to let the body know what cancer is. A regular human body develops cancer a couple times a week and kills it. The bad cancer hides itself, or the body just doesn't know how to recognize it. With these RNA-vaccines we can effectively remove their camouflage - if we learn what camouflage it uses - and teach the body about what's going on and let the body fix it in the way it treats other infections.
Imagine a doctors visit ten, maybe just five years from now: "You have late stage melacarcinoma, it's spreading to all your lymph nodes. Take these three shots, you'll experience some fever for a couple days and you're good to go."
No more chemo, no more immune therapies, no more cytostatics. It's going to kill a large part of that drug industry.
To most, this milestone seems like a small thing. Something new to combat covid, big whoop. But it's one of the biggest things the medical world has seen in the past decade.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If this thing works, we can basically train the body to attack anything we choose. From bacteria to possibly every single type of cancer as long as we can find out how it differs from the rest of the body.
This has great implications in both ways; one screw up and we'll create a new offspring-transmittable autoimmune disease, the plus side is that we can eradicate cancer. Even the ones that can't be treated right now. And.. It wouldn't even take a whole lot of money. A couple million per type of cancer.

The key to fighting cancer with the least amount of damage is to let the body know what cancer is. A regular human body develops cancer a couple times a week and kills it. The bad cancer hides itself, or the body just doesn't know how to recognize it. With these RNA-vaccines we can effectively remove their camouflage - if we learn what camouflage it uses - and teach the body about what's going on and let the body fix it in the way it treats other infections.
Imagine a doctors visit ten, maybe just five years from now: "You have late stage melacarcinoma, it's spreading to all your lymph nodes. Take these three shots, you'll experience some fever for a couple days and you're good to go."
No more chemo, no more immune therapies, no more cytostatics. It's going to kill a large part of that drug industry.
To most, this milestone seems like a small thing. Something new to combat covid, big whoop. But it's one of the biggest things the medical world has seen in the past decade.
I agree that the RNA technology is a total game changer in fighting disease in the future, I just wish the first time we test that new method wasn’t in reaction to a pandemic.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In a sense I'm happy that now's the situation where these cutting edge technologies skip through the process. Instead of fifteen years of trials, we now have the data within a year. Large scale data too, and on nearly the entire world population.
I agree, slower and steadier is better. But if this pandemic wouldn't have happened, who knows where this technique might have ended.
CRIPR-Cas gene editing has been left on a shelf for nearly 30 years. Phage therapy has slumbered in North-east Europe but it's gaining traction worldwide as an effective tool.

There's so much stuff out there that has potential. I'm not a big fan of this kind of rushes either, but it brought us to the doorstep of taking down a lot more than covid, way faster than I would have expected.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In a sense I'm happy that now's the situation where these cutting edge technologies skip through the process. Instead of fifteen years of trials, we now have the data within a year. Large scale data too, and on nearly the entire world population.
I agree, slower and steadier is better. But if this pandemic wouldn't have happened, who knows where this technique might have ended.
CRIPR-Cas gene editing has been left on a shelf for nearly 30 years. Phage therapy has slumbered in North-east Europe but it's gaining traction worldwide as an effective tool.

There's so much stuff out there that has potential. I'm not a big fan of this kind of rushes either, but it brought us to the doorstep of taking down a lot more than covid, way faster than I would have expected.
Going back to one of the earlier comments in this thread... part of the reason why we were able to develop vaccines for Covid-19 as quickly as we did is due to the fact that a lot of work had already been done on SARS-Cov-2. They were close to finalizing a SARS-Cov-2 vaccine when that earlier disease mutated to a more dangerous, but less transmittable form, and it burned itself out of the population. So when Covid-19 popped up as a closely related virus, they were able to borrow a lot of work instead of having to start from scratch.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Going back to one of the earlier comments in this thread... part of the reason why we were able to develop vaccines for Covid-19 as quickly as we did is due to the fact that a lot of work had already been done on SARS-Cov-2. They were close to finalizing a SARS-Cov-2 vaccine when that earlier disease mutated to a more dangerous, but less transmittable form, and it burned itself out of the population. So when Covid-19 popped up as a closely related virus, they were able to borrow a lot of work instead of having to start from scratch.
They did sequence a lot of coronaviruses and this work sure did help zoning in on the proteins and genetic sequence needed to make a RNA vaccine.
I commend all of their work! Absolutely. But it's two entirely different worlds. One grows a virus on humane or simian cells to kill it (sinovac, sputnik, or in the case of oxford on modified insect cells), which is classical biology, the other took a part of a virus blueprint and used it against itself. That's more chemistry and genetics.

I've done attenuated vaccine production as well as genetic lab work. One was eyeballing a couple gallons, comparable to brewing beer in a sense (setup is mostly the same). The other is like precision watch making; a tenth of a nanogram can make or break a result. Different challenges, different tools, different setup, different method entirely.

Both deserve a round of applause and a friggin medal or two. But the RNA method is so different that I think it would be unfair to say the foundation for the biontech/pfizer vaccine was laid in the cov-2 work. Originally, these RNA vaccines were being developed for something entirely different. At least to my knowledge.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
All in my immediate family are vaccinated. 60+ persons in my extended family (many have been on the frontline fighting this virus) have been vaccinated. We are all in. As for the RNA vaccines, our blood tests show antibodies whether it’s Pfizer or Moderna. I’m sure some of us are concerned over the safety but so far so good. It is safe enough for them to extend testing to 6 year olds! Our family have lost enough friends and family members to this virus, we will do all we can to help.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
All in my immediate family are vaccinated. 60+ persons in my extended family (many have been on the frontline fighting this virus) have been vaccinated. We are all in. As for the RNA vaccines, our blood tests show antibodies whether it’s Pfizer or Moderna. I’m sure some of us are concerned over the safety but so far so good. It is safe enough for them to extend testing to 6 year olds! Our family have lost enough friends and family members to this virus, we will do all we can to help.
Amen to that!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is crazy. Here they started at 80+, then I believe it went to 65+, then 50+ lastly 16+. With specific medial conditions listed each time as well.
70+ at the moment here.
Will take till the end of summer before enough vaccins in EU that I am going to be eligable. And EU is doing well compared to some other places in the world.
I am shocked at how the world seems to be unable to come to a united response. All big words initially, there would be a fair distribution of vaccins. Yet, in the end, it is money and producing countries that get served first.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I spoke to soon... I ended up with 101.1 temp. Felt lethargic and just wanted to sleep. Vaccine was on a Thursday at 4:45pm. By Friday 1:30 I went to bed and took Tylenol. Woke needing my inhaler and other meds for reactive airways. It set me off...I was down for a day and a half...then walked the dog for miles and was fine. Other than my reactive airways were flaring up. Two weeks today...and I'm finally having less reactive airways symptoms. It's been mild...but first day it hit my airways...I got a bit concerned. This was a dead virus...and it went directly at my airways. I thank God I never had the live virus. I can't even begin to imagine how horrible it could have gotten.

I'm grateful to be fully vaccinated .

I had the Moderna vaccine for those curious. My husband had the chills...but no lack of appetite like I experienced. He was tired and his arm hurt.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My son too, said he just couldn't get warm. They sent him home from work. Hopefully, he's better today. Glad your reaction wasn't worse, but sounds scary.
Very scary...I had no idea I would react that way. First shot I had absolutely no side effects other than a bit tired. When you fight reactive airways for 6 months...and house bound because ones inhaler is no longer a rescue tool. It was scary to see where it was going to go. But that my inhaler never failed...but worked each time I needed it. Was a relief.

I think...gosh, a dead virus did that. Scary...thank goodness I never got covid.

Praying your son feels better soon.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I spoke to soon... I ended up with 101.1 temp. Felt lethargic and just wanted to sleep. Vaccine was on a Thursday at 4:45pm. By Friday 1:30 I went to bed and took Tylenol. Woke needing my inhaler and other meds for reactive airways. It set me off...I was down for a day and a half...then walked the dog for miles and was fine. Other than my reactive airways were flaring up. Two weeks today...and I'm finally having less reactive airways symptoms. It's been mild...but first day it hit my airways...I got a bit concerned. This was a dead virus...and it went directly at my airways. I thank God I never had the live virus. I can't even begin to imagine how horrible it could have gotten.

I had the Moderna vaccine for those curious. My husband had the chills...but no lack of appetite like I experienced. He was tired and his arm hurt.
No

Technically you didn’t have the dead virus. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were not developed with the old conventional method. Still it does give you a real tiny taste of how terrible this virus can be.

Top Bottom