So how do you "decandle" mame JBPs if they don't really have candles?

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
So.... thanks to @Adair M and his advice and recommendation for watching Boon's video's, my son and I feel like we've gotten the decandling thing down somewhat as far as our larger JBP is concerned.

Earlier this year my son dropped a 4x4 on my favorite little mame, the cutest little Shimp originally owned and styled by @vancehanna that we obtained from him some years ago (don't know how stupid things like that happen around my son and I!). I was devastated and to make up, him and my wife found this cute little JBP on Suthin Sukosolvisit's site and bought it for me to lift my spirits. Well, we decandled our large JBP last month and our understanding was to wait longer on the little ones and I think the time has come to do it.

Only problem is that it is so little it has no candles! It just has clusters of needles. Do you just cut those? Where?
Thanks in advance @Adair M and @Brian Van Fleet and anyone else who is a JBP expert that I may not have known about.

The RED arrows are the NEW growth and the yellow area is where the older shorter needles are.

IMG_20210709_110556164.jpgIMG_20210709_110619575.jpg35a.jpg36a.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So, you still cut the candle (new growth) at the base of the new growth. Look carefully. This spring’s growth is light green. The old growth is dark green. Cut the shoots with the light green off, leaving the dark green needles.

in the fall, after the new summer shoots have hardened off, pull all the old dark green needles. And thin new shoots to two.

Voila!

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
So, you still cut the candle (new growth) at the base of the new growth. Look carefully. This spring’s growth is light green. The old growth is dark green. Cut the shoots with the light green off, leaving the dark green needles.

in the fall, after the new summer shoots have hardened off, pull all the old dark green needles. And thin new shoots to two.

Voila!
And just to confirm...so I'm not pulling the light green needle pairs but cutting them at the base/sheath/whitish area?

16a.jpg

D

Deleted member 32750

And just to confirm...so I'm not pulling the light green needle pairs but cutting them at the base/sheath/whitish area?
You should cut below that, flush to last years dark green needles. Cutting there will leave a small stub and will delay a second flush

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cut the STEM (the shoot) below the light green needles.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There is new growth. It is just really short. Look for the spot where the stem changes from last year's brown to the new green stem. As already mentioned needles are also lighter green on spring growth and may be longer than older ones.
jbp.JPG

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks great, nice work. The job goes quick when their small!

I have a small root on rock that's going to get a haircut soon. And next year/year after see if I can't get it in this Raynor.....
DSC00647.JPG DSC00559 (1).JPG DSC00560 (1).JPG

Happy growing! :cool:

Top Bottom