Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Damn, looks like mortality was low, that's a blessing and a curse. You'll be busy keeping up with all the trees. Fortunately seedlings don't take near the work older, nearly show ready trees do. I'm 6 hours into wiring a shohin Hinoki and I am still not finished. It's not a big tree. Damn

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BSOP mentorship has been working on the Douglasfir seedlings this month. Here’s an extra tree back at my home in the middle of some basic wiring.
520A9C43-FBD6-4C38-8121-25F8BF709293.jpeg

Of the original 100 Douglasfir I think 95 were viable, ~30 went to mentorship, I sold and gave away about 30, and now I’m left with about 35 of them.

I’ll be keeping enough Douglasfir to play with neagari, upright, informal, and shohin forms.

(BSOP mentorship will be doing the Western Hemlock trees in one of the upcoming months this spring.)

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Big news today: I finally repotted a bunch of the hemlock

They’ll finally receive their first wire training this fall.

Here’s one of those Douglas-fir on a natural lava slab from Washington, just planted today
A69433CF-0686-4890-B8BA-B37FB0F720A6.jpeg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ll be keeping enough Douglasfir to play with neagari, upright, informal, and shohin forms.
Just a comment about naturalism and bonsai:

When I wander around the local forests, I see roughly century old stumps of Douglas firs with hemlocks growing root-over-stump style. Most of these century old stumps have reached the state of decay that they are about to collapse into a pile of dust.

Douglas fir is a pioneer species that would have nothing but rocks to grow on/over

But, bonsai is an art form.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At the 2019 BSOP fall jamboree I was able to sell five of the Douglas-fir for $35 each. That was nice! It was also bittersweet, as they had each thickened up to about 1.5 inches, had a ton of interior buds, and their branches were full and healthy.

The full sun of my last yard really did the trick.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Good job with those! I know exactly how you feel with working on all those trees. Today I potted up 30 Prunus sp. and planted 200 peach seeds into 50 cell trays.

AnacortesSteve

Yamadori
Reaction score
I like mycorrhiza
Is that one of the trees that were inoculated? I have a few I grew from seed and some collected and wondering if it really works or just go get some soil from around the roots in the forest.

Top Bottom