So I found a Mugo stump...

twarawa

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2A
I found this mugo pine stump in an area where I work periodically today. They had about five 30 or so year old mugos that were stunted over the years by rodents and such and decided to cut them down and replant new trees.

I don't know if it is at all possible for this one to live but thought I would put the question out there to someone with more experience.

The info I have:

- The trees were cut down late last fall after freeze up and have been frozen ever since
- They were cut when there was snow on the ground and were covered with snow all winter
- This is the only one that looks like it had been pulled out with some roots (very little)

My question...Is there any chance that this stump is viable still or is it better off as firewood?

The little foliage it has left seems healthy, not dry or brown. The trunk is around 8" across.

I can include better pics if needed.

Mugo stump 3 by twarawa, on Flickr

Mugo stump 2 by twarawa, on Flickr

Mugo stump 1 by twarawa, on Flickr

Thanks

Tyler

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pines seem like they might be rugged, but I have found them to be big babies. They need you to get every scrap of root you can get and even then...maybe. I'm gonna guess that it might not be worth all your effort.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Vance Wood is the person you should talk to. Unfortunately, I think this tree might already be dead.

Rob

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It could already be gone, as Rob said. Picture a Christmas tree and how long it stays green and looking alive, when it's actually rootless and already a gonner. I'd pass on this one.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
So... It was ripped of the ground with very little roots last year, laid frozen under a layer of snow all year and sits as is now, out of the ground with no soil or anything around the few roots that are there and sporting only black foliage?

This tree is dead.

twarawa

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2A
So... It was ripped of the ground with very little roots last year, laid frozen under a layer of snow all year and sits as is now, out of the ground with no soil or anything around the few roots that are there and sporting only black foliage?

This tree is dead.

Well, when you put it that way...:p

The needles aren't black they are green and soft, not dry. Also, I cut one of the large roots off to see inside and it was still moist and greenish around the cambium.

I don't have high hopes, just wondering if it would be worth it to but it in some soil.

Thanks

Tyler

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Well, when you put it that way...:p

The needles aren't black they are green and soft, not dry. Also, I cut one of the large roots off to see inside and it was still moist and greenish around the cambium.

I don't have high hopes, just wondering if it would be worth it to but it in some soil.

Thanks

Tyler

I don't see much here in terms of potential. It really just looks like a branch attached to the stump of a tree, and the stump itself has no foliage. You could always try to put it in soil just to see if it lives, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Put it in a pot and see what happens. That is the only way you will know. I don't think it is a worthless effort. There is always something you can take away from it. Personally I think it has a very interesting trunk line. It definitely is not cookie cutter bonsai material. Take a look at some of the stuff Graham Potter has worked with.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Make sure you have the roots covered in the pot. Other than that I don't think there is much more you can do but watch and wait. Be careful that you do not over water;
water only when it starts to dry out. Don't let it go totally dry.

twarawa

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2A
Make sure you have the roots covered in the pot. Other than that I don't think there is much more you can do but watch and wait. Be careful that you do not over water;
water only when it starts to dry out. Don't let it go totally dry.

Thanks for the input, Vance. A couple of questions though.

Should it get some rooting hormone to try to stimulate something down there or does it matter?

Also, should it get lots of sun or some shade? We really don't get hot afternoon sun here until June so I assume it can stay in the sun.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Tyler

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It sounds like the tree has been out of the ground too long, and from what I can see, it doesn't appear to have a sustainable root system. I give it very low odds, but here's another thought:

Dan Robinson and his crew collect trees with great success using a "papoose wrap" treatment on the roots. Yours may be a good candidate for this treatment, since stabilizing it in a can will be a problem.

Treat it like a layer: wrap the root system in a big black trash bag filled with damp sphagnum moss and some pumice, duct tape it so it's tight, punch a few holes in the bottom, and lay it somewhere to get morning sun and see what this year brings.

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks for the input, Vance. A couple of questions though.

Should it get some rooting hormone to try to stimulate something down there or does it matter?

Also, should it get lots of sun or some shade? We really don't get hot afternoon sun here until June so I assume it can stay in the sun.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Tyler

You understand that the probability of survival with this tree is very small? You should only make sure the roots are covered, not sitting in mud and watered only when needed. At this point with the tree trying to produce new roots it would probably not be a good idea to move it again. If fortune smiles on this tree do not fool around with it till the third growing season from now.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It sounds like the tree has been out of the ground too long, and from what I can see, it doesn't appear to have a sustainable root system. I give it very low odds, but here's another thought:

Dan Robinson and his crew collect trees with great success using a "papoose wrap" treatment on the roots. Yours may be a good candidate for this treatment, since stabilizing it in a can will be a problem.

Treat it like a layer: wrap the root system in a big black trash bag filled with damp sphagnum moss and some pumice, duct tape it so it's tight, punch a few holes in the bottom, and lay it somewhere to get morning sun and see what this year brings.

If you insist on doing something this would be it. Sphagnum moss, the green growing kind not the milled and in a bag variety, is excellent in producing roots and might give you a chance.

twarawa

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2A

Thanks, Brian. I remember reading about this method a while back.

Vance, I really don't have any hopes for it but was unsure if it would work so I took it. Collection really took all of 10 seconds. If nothing else it will make a good piece of firewood.:)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It looks unique and nice. I would have spent the time to pick it up and pot also. It is a long shot but worth it. You just might get lucky and got a "fighter" since most depends on the plant now.

Good luck!!!! :)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks, Brian. I remember reading about this method a while back.

Vance, I really don't have any hopes for it but was unsure if it would work so I took it. Collection really took all of 10 seconds. If nothing else it will make a good piece of firewood.:)

It is never a bad idea to attempt a save on a tree if you have the time, space and resources to do it. In the end all you lose is a little time that you would have spent doing something else; probably something meaningless like going to work or making the world safe for Democracy. LOL.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I'm sorry to be negative, but would say there is no chance for this to survive. :( I apologize for the negativity. But I would focus my attention on other projects.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'm sorry to be negative, but would say there is no chance for this to survive. :( I apologize for the negativity. But I would focus my attention on other projects.

I don't think anyone has suggested that this project is the only roast in the oven.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

I've never tried it, but it sounds like the tree's best chance.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

I agree with the time assessment, too long out of the ground.

Top Bottom