LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Okay! They're all up and off the ground:
View attachment 139455

"Maybe I'll just put this ONE tree under the bench, here......":confused::p:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I suppose draining a pot of pasta in Portland has become quite a chore!;):cool::D:D:D

"Maybe I didn't think I'd get THIS involved......but here I am, potted forest in my backyard!":eek::D:D:D:D:D:D

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
jbp51.jpg jbp61.jpg Here's some of my 4yr old colander trained JBPs. I planted 15 of them from seed and am using all of them. They're growing really good as you can see from the pics, so much so that I 'm having a hard time keeping them upright especially when it's a windy day. :)

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I planted these I decided that most of them would be trained in the semi cascade style when the wiring began. jbp21.jpg

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Thomas J. neat! Thanks for sharing.

A top dressing of pumice and sphagnum will further improve your nebari.

Attaching the colanders to boards, bricks, or tiles might give them the needed weight to hold them down.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This weekend I was looking closely at these saplings and I noticed the trees from Weyerhaeuser all have three needles per fascicle. They may be Pinus jeffreyi. What a twist!

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
FWIW...

I went looking for pictures but couldn't find it, anyway, I'm hip to seedling cuttings....
Always figured it a good idea.

Then I saw a wicked perfect Nebari on like a 6-8inch trunk, in person, and somewhere around then decided it not only a good idea....

But the only idea!

And not just for pine!

Banter all day about the node length...

We might as well be talking about why the branch structure isn't perfect....
Or decandling!

Cuz node length Ain't the beginning!

Start at the beginning!

How about the fact that seedling cutting is getting you a jump on something way more important than effin node length!

The Friggin Nebari! A basal flare!

Not to mention.....
No matter how big the tree is going to be............

It's going to get there faster, and you are going to have WAY more control having them low nodes!

We say....you can always cut something off, but we can't glue it back on!

This is the same thing!

Except we are not even producing the branches to cut off!

That is highly limiting.

Forgive me, but while their May be more than one way to skin a cat.....

This has nothing to do with the skinning part, it's about growing the cat to skin.

If you're into skinning cats....
Why wouldn't you want to grow them as efficiently as possible?

The pros of seedling cutting outweigh the cons in every instance.

IMO.

In my goal to prove Adair wrong....

I have mostly found that he is always right.

Definitely always, when it comes to JBP.

You can't take blunt SOB talk with a grain of salt....

Rather....

Take them with many grains of salt, put them in an hour glass.....

And look thru the time....

The fastest path will be clear.

Sorce
Poor cats :))

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Many of these turned out to be Ponderosa that Weyerhaeuser had mislabeled as JBP. Ugh. I sold all but 2 of those.

Of the actual JBP, I’ve only kept one that’s a full cascade. It’s thickening up nicely
D97121C8-CEE2-4DD7-A8E3-A0AF7EEB0CD3.jpeg

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did manage to sell one of the JBP seedlings in a colander for $30 :cool:

It had a few low buds and I had put nice movement into the trunk. I’m not mad about my proceeds.

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
o that I 'm having a hard time keeping them upright especially when it's a windy day.
Why not try them down to your bench to stop them falling over? I loop two separate bits of thin gardening wire from under my bench planks over the top of each pot either side of the tree trunk, pull tight then twist together then I twist the two end of each 'wire loops' together so they cant move apart. works for me

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why not try them down to your bench to stop them falling over? I loop two separate bits of thin gardening wire from under my bench planks over the top of each pot either side of the tree trunk, pull tight then twist together then I twist the two end of each 'wire loops' together so they cant move apart. works for me

That problem was solved last November when I did the chops to make them shohin bonsai which was my intention from the start with these seedlings. The pics below are before and after of one of the trees. :)

IMG_0911_pe.jpgIMG_0938_pe.jpg

Top Bottom