So I started a blog

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When I lived in St Louis, I had the sweetest neighbor. Polite, friendly, eager to say hello, always a smile on her face. She kept her garden tidy and the birds fed. In short, Ms Margaret was the type of neighbor you want and the type of neighbor I aspire to be. This weeks Thursday Bonsai progress post shares an elm orphaned from her home, now living the bonsai life in my garden. And a constant reminder of the sweet neighbor from my previous home.

Here’s Margaret‘a elm, in a sweet Chuck Iker pot. You can read about it here:

7A228377-BB19-480F-8157-6EDB71581DB8.jpegedited images 2.jpg

Last edited:

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A quick bonsai breakdown for all the newbies out there!

B2D5F109-14CB-4530-BB09-B12B34492F1F.png44714F43-E28C-4F8B-84A9-66814F0E3EA6.jpeg2AEA2784-DD68-42B2-9CCC-03C960E74684.jpeg

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anyone ever taken a chainsaw to some unruly roots? I have and I wrote about this week for the blog. Check it out!

68681631-81F1-4302-86EC-435D6DC3209B.jpeg
483DC878-1F4E-40A8-AF53-E09EA7209E05.jpeg

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Fidur Posted about finding peace, finally, by understanding less is more

I wrote about that concept today for my weekly progression post.

95592AB9-FCA2-4E1D-8FF6-6A2F860FEB23.jpegB89EFC69-300A-4327-AA30-A8FEF93F9338.jpeg

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Something a little different this week. As I write, I’m interested in appealing bonsai to a greater audience. Bonsai has been a very important part of my life and I’d like to share that perspective with a greater number of people.

I hope you like it and feedback is always encouraged.

Bonsai & Fatherhood are More Similar Than You Think

-7 ways Bonsai has made a better father

701F41A7-2BE2-4108-A5C9-204F9496B9A6.jpeg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Something a little different this week. As I write, I’m interested in appealing bonsai to a greater audience. Bonsai has been a very important part of my life and I’d like to share that perspective with a greater number of people.

I hope you like it and feedback is always encouraged.

Bonsai & Fatherhood are More Similar Than You Think

-7 ways Bonsai has made a better father

View attachment 396451
Great article, very thought provoking. My son is 28, so of course he already knows everything;) But we still try to steer him in the right direction.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is the “Black Pine From Seed” article from Bonsai Today issue #20 the most famous (English speaking) bonsai article of all time?

I think so!

A BonsaiNut heavy post this week. Featuring our very own @Bonsai Nut and the “black pine from seed contest”.

Check it out!’

EDC3D360-1FBE-45E5-B9EE-3D6156D867AB.jpeg

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I made a lot mistakes at the beginning. Here’s a few mistakes I see newbies make and how to avoid them.

I don’t think we talk about #5 enough.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Happy Birthday to the Peace Love Bonsai blog! We turn 1 today. Thanks to all of you for the reading & sharing my posts. It’s been a fun year and I look forward to year 2!

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Happy Thursday to all the Bnutters!

Here’s an update on a small Japanese black pine I’ve been developing. I think it’s coming along nicely!

✌🏻❤️🌲

D9895D92-1BA3-4A25-90C0-DE27C5B70EAA.jpegCCCC4DED-DEF0-4854-9B3F-8DF88E1ED85E.jpegA74F4A73-3311-4F47-BB46-D0EAE5D4CB64.jpeg

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Looking good! How much longer are you planning to leave it in the training pot? I plan for a JBP to be my first "serious" pine bonsai material. Either that or a Ponderosa. Really hoping to get my hands on a good pre-bonsai one at the Winter Silhouette show in Kannapolis this December.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looking good! How much longer are you planning to leave it in the training pot? I plan for a JBP to be my first "serious" pine bonsai material. Either that or a Ponderosa. Really hoping to get my hands on a good pre-bonsai one at the Winter Silhouette show in Kannapolis this December.

Thanks!

I haven’t found the pot I’m looking for…yet! I usually spend the winter months looking for pots. So, if I find the right one, I’ll repot next spring.

But I don’t mind these training pots. So I’ll try to be patient!

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
But I don’t mind these training pots. So I’ll try to be patient!
Some people hate the look of terracotta, but having practiced horticulture as a hobby long before getting into bonsai, I like it. It's very "classic" and "earthy" to me, and I don't think I've ever seen a flower, tree or shrub that looked bad in a terracotta pot to my eyes. Unflattering or plain, maybe, but never bad or ugly.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Go for a JBP...look at those tiny needles. Ain't gonna see that on a Pondy!!

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Go for a JBP...look at those tiny needles. Ain't gonna see that on a Pondy!!
Smaller needles, sure, but man...some of the Ponderosa yamadori I've seen floating around on websites and the Facebook groups lately are just 😲. Not many bonsai-worthy pines are suitable for my zone because of the summer heat. JBP and Ponderosa are pretty much the only ones I'd be comfortable owning here. Mugo may be OK too.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Smaller needles, sure, but man...some of the Ponderosa yamadori I've seen floating around on websites and the Facebook groups lately are just 😲. Not many bonsai-worthy pines do well in my zone either because of the summer heat. JBP and Ponderosa are pretty much the only ones I'd be comfortable owning here. Mugo may be OK too.
They’re both good choices, for sure. My pondy’s grow very slow. So, I seem to work them once, then they sit for awhile.

JBPs give you more to do.

That may be good or bad, depending on your situation.

Also, there’s not a species with more online information than the JBP, so if you have questions, you will most likely be able to find your answers quickly & efficiently.

My favorite pine is the Scott’s. Not too much work, but grows quicker than the Ponderosa.

Can you grow those where you are?

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My favorite pine is the Scott’s. Not too much work, but grows quicker than the Ponderosa.

Can you grow those where you are?
Most info pages/care sheets I've found online say they're suitable for zones 3-7. Central and western NC is in zone 7 or lower, so maybe there, but here there may be too much humidity and lasting heat throughout the year. Never tried though, so I have zero personal experience to go by.

Top Bottom