So it’s been 3 years...

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
And I’m late to post this... I had so far kept these threads to the same day each year, ish. Which happened to be my birthday + first day I owned a Bonsai. Oh well, is what it is.

Do you guys even remember me?! I’ve not been around much.

It seems like this year I’ve done less in Bonsai that last year. My collection is slowly growing but not as fast as I’d like. There are a few places around to buy but as I don’t drive, it’s not doable to get round to them and take something back home.

I think I’m starting to learn slower, as a result of not enough trees! But, when I am learning, I’m learning not to wrap my trees up in cotton wool. Perhaps not as rough as some but I’m trying to do more and think less. Going to be a long lesson though.

I’ve not been active enough on these forums, I’ll endeavor to be more active, read more, conversate more. It’s my main and key source for learning currently, aside from my own trees. Down to the people on it:).

Trees:

Acer P is finally over the hump, which took 2-3 years. All major work done and now time to get some good growth that’ll be kept and turn it in to a tree I’ve been looking forward to since purchase. This forum and the people should be sick to death of it by now, you’ve all massively helped with it. (No comment needed on the criss cross wiring, its ugly but does the job!)

Olive has been growing well for 2 years and it’s finally going to be cut back hard, 90% of its branch and foliage will go this year, when it starts growing strongly (its a slow starter, around summer). Following Adair’s advice, and others, on it. Have high hopes for it, the little brutish monster it is. Bursting out of its bark currently.
DSC_0246 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0306 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Elms all coming along nicely, I’m happy with their size, branch structure and ramification that’s just beginning. It was Bobby that suggested; he believed the use of small molar clay granulate substrate, 100% inorganic that they are planted in, causes the very small leaves that I get on them. They will look great in leaf.
DSC_0268 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0267 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0255 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Long term; I’ve an oak which I’m just leaving to grow currently, unsure of its future. Another elm which needs branches but lovely slender trunk with great bark. A pyracantha air layer that keeps being reduced in size, awaiting back budding low enough.. hopefully this spring! Very long term that is.
Wisteria seedlings are showing good signs of growth this year, looking forward to the challenge of keeping them alive for as long as I can.
DSC_0294 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Ive a number of trees but no major changes to write about currently.

DSC_0260 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0251 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

I hope I speak to a lot more of you this year, as we go in to another growing season.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The time for Conor Dash is now.

Of course we remember Conor.
As usual experiment on the cuttings not the mother, so you
may have only 20 mothers - but 200 children.

Eventually aim for about 30 well done mothers.

The chap from, I believe Lebanon, should see your olive
in progress.
Good Day
Anthony

* We use sunlight for smaller leaves.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Elms looking good!

You aint been here!?

I aint been here!?

Sorce

Olific

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice trees man! Lovin the Acer P and Elms. Can't wait to see their progressions.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Elms looking good!

You aint been here!?

I aint been here!?

Sorce

I have not, Sorce :). How you doing? How’re your trees?

There's that pyracantha that is so sweet! Nothing wrong with small collections. It allows one with a busy life to have time for all.

It is, I love it. Removed a number of large leaves, awaiting growth. Looking a bit bare at the moment.
I was told the species are difficult to ramify but I asked Harry H how he does it, he just said keep removing large leaves. Nothing special.
It’s got a year or 2 ahead before I think I should look real good :). It’s in such a small pot though, so unsure how much growth it’ll put on.

Top Bottom