So its been 4 years...

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello All,

4 years since I started this hobby.. I love that some things are still absolutely CLEAR AS MUD, but that somethings are genuinely clearer (and when I say love, I mean hate).

My collection has now really grown, and I have built a great looking (if I say so myself) bench, to house the vast majority:
DSC_0854 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0891 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
[More info and thread: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/bonsai-bench.40495/]

I think I am up to about 22 odd trees at this point, containing 4 different cultivars of Acer Palmatum (which translates to 4 different kinds of stress).
I now have a back breaking raw material large hornbeam, that I have now purchased its own skateboard cos I don't want to keep lifting it... Now pruned yet, I will do soon but may do an airlayer from it too.
DSC_1263 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
[https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/european-hornbeam-3.41809/]

Have just done a load of repotting in preparation for the coming spring, in the hopes it also kicks my original Acer Palmatum in to gear a bit. Its still an ugly mess but its on the right track... I think!

At the moment I have to admit I am in love this with this Maple, Beni-Maiko:
DSC_1092 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_1293 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
[https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/acer-plamatum-3.40074/]

A common pear that I am looking forward to developing too, I have been too sheepish about doing more work on it but some work has been done, I will keep on it. I believe a few branches are too long and need cutting back..
DSC_1036 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
[https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/common-pear.38900/]

This fat little guy has come on leaps and bounds! I love how fast it grows but just for such a short period.. its been slowly growing over winter too, but due to lack of light the leaves are very pale. I am expecting around june it will wake up and through out June and July it will go mad, as usual. Then back to sleep again...
DSC_1210 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
[https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/olive-stump.26766/]

Now on my way to update many threads with progress of my trees, and repotting pics etc..

Also, I believe I woke up at 1am recently, due to the strong winds and somewhat ran to the bathroom to look out the window at my bench in the fears something had happened to my trees.. realised it was pitch black and nothing could be seen and went back to sleep. Or it may have been a dream... No, I think it was real.

I have a question for anyone that has read this far.. At the 4 year mark for your own Bonsai career, what do you think your biggest FLAW was?

Thank you for reading, your continued patience with not just my own young questions, career impatience and repeated mistakes, but all those who post on this forum and finally, thank you everyone for posting god content and teaching many people around the world, more about this complicated, enjoyable, frustrating, stressful, life long and ambitious hobby.

Conor

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a question for anyone that has read this far.. At the 4 year mark for your own Bonsai career, what do you think your biggest FLAW was?
Agreeing with my wife that the space then occupied by my bonsai is the space it would ever occupy.

On a more serious note..
I am not sure what I would change. Maybe get fewer crappy trees. But even those crappy trees gave me insights and experience, even though I gave most of them away. Not much I would do differently. Do remember to let your trees grow, and have patiences. Freshly dug trees pretend to handle everything. Untill all of the sudden the whole plant dies the spring a year later because you overworked it. (Lost a few amazing hornbeams and creatagus that way).

Keep posting!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Putting trees into bonsai pots too soon is problematic. They need to grow bigger, then when they are of an ilk you like, start to reduce the roots into smaller and more bonsai-like pots. When they are in bonsai-size pots they refine, but don't really grow very much, or do it very slow. So, don't put them into bonsai-size pots until you are beginning to prep them for showing, (or show-worthiness).

This is not to preclude continually downsizing roots as they pass from container to container on repot. It is to say don't expect them to grow bigger after you have stuffed them into a small pot.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amen to that ass kicking!

I remember the one after year 1.

You have come a long way, solidly, like the tip of a good turd!

You just have brought Jerry back in spirit!

Hey @just.wing.it , speaking a bringing Jerry back in spirit! Lol

Cheers!

Sorce

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
4 years already?
Dam Conor.
It seems like it was just yesterday.
You're kicking some ass!

I know right, it does seem fast when I write down.. my good old chinese elm mallsai, cut in half and the top half is growing monstrously in the grown. I hope to never my first tree, so sentimental. I’m not sure about kicking ass lol.

Amen to that ass kicking!

I remember the one after year 1.

You have come a long way, solidly, like the tip of a good turd!

You just have brought Jerry back in spirit!

Hey @just.wing.it , speaking a bringing Jerry back in spirit! Lol

Cheers!

Sorce

Thanks :). True Jerry doesn’t post much, but he sure does love a good bench! I’m proud of my bench, super proud, and happy he counts the pictures among his collection when showing the blueprints online.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oh hello my title changed to masterpiece.. that’s hugely untrue but it’s a fancy change! I guess that was at 2000 post count.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Probably not following up after collecting. I love to find possible bonsai, collect it, and get it potted, then I kinda lose interest and just keep it alive (but not always). I've got dozens of "some-day" bonsai.
CW

Top Bottom