So its been 5 years...

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well well well… here we are again.. My yearly topic, that no one asked for or cares about, but screw you, I'm going to continue doing it anyway.

I feel like my approach to bonsai and my techniques have changed a lot in the last year. I have looked back at trees, especially my Pear tree and thought: "What the hell was I thinking"?
I suddenly look at it and I see mistakes... problems... unsightly bits.. That tree is currently my Everest. I have other trees that I have worked and corrected their mistakes (mistakes by my definition).. but that Pear.. I am scared to cut it! I'm a fool.
It needs heavy work, one of its trunks reduced, larger branches removed... same old reason for being scared.. some parts have older bark which I don't want to make a mistake a lose. Branches with development which I don't want to waste.. but I can counter all of that. This tree grows well, really well. So anything I do will be fixed in a few years and be better for it cos I worked it! Also needs a repot this Spring too.

Something I have learnt about that species, it does not ramify well. To be clear, I don't just mean ramification as in the final stage of development. I mean getting secondary and tertiary branching. I find the internodes to be long, so by allowing 2 or 3 branches, you end up with a LONG branch. It needs to be grown and cut back hard to induce back budding, for better branching. Anyways, I digress.

Same old, fear of failure. I need to get over this and anyone else feeling similar, I suggest you do the same. Get over it. Work the tree. Learn. Growing is not just for the tree, its for you as a Bonsai artist too.

I have the same trees as I did last year, I am happy with most of them and have my own house now and place to work them comfortably and look at them more. I have a lot of repoting to do and I plan to simply study them more, learn more from them than from other sources.
I am sorting the garden then I plan to buy 10 hornbeams and 10 beech to plant, some on a tile, some not, all in the ground. Get some years of growth and give myself a load of material. Should be fine. Made myself my first wooden box, plan to build another this week when weather is better, plant a few big trees in them. Got my first mallsai elm, that I received exactly 5 years ago today, air layered, top half been growing in to a monster in the ground.. about to be dug up, chopped and planted in a box. That should be really cool in time.

I think its a positive thing that I am seeing mistakes on my trees, and correcting them. Or at least, things I consider to be mistakes. I want my trees to be mine. Not the tree in a Japanese picture book, not a tree that adheres to all rules known to man.. my tree. Otherwise, what's the point of it all?

I feel like I have nothing exciting to say, but I am still here. Still plenty of trees, work to do, things to learn, plans to be enacted.

My 2 fav trees at the moment are these. I have a few other favs too but I enjoy these quite a lot.

Happy Bonsai'ing!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think that's the appealing aspect of bonsai, occasionally you'll feel the same "what the hell was I thinking" part regardless of how long you've been growing. 8 years in (albeit I was really young most of those) and I think that more and more. Those are some wicked trees for 5 years in the hobby, all your work?

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I can only hope my trees look that good in 5 years. A tip of my hat to you sir!!
I'm only starting my second year and am trying to collect better material than the local nursery stock.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I can see why they are your two favorites. What size are they?
Hey,
The hornbeam is 15" high, 6" wide not including the long root at the base.
The English Elm is 11" by 5".

I do like them, just repotted the hornbeam, and due to do English Elm any day now. I do not have a final pot for the hornbeam but for the elm, I do, at least final pot for now. So it should look great once repot!

I think that's the appealing aspect of bonsai, occasionally you'll feel the same "what the hell was I thinking" part regardless of how long you've been growing. 8 years in (albeit I was really young most of those) and I think that more and more. Those are some wicked trees for 5 years in the hobby, all your work?

Not all mine, trees started from BobbyLane and I have developed them for the past 3-4 years. I have pics of before, and progression, etc. Each time I work them, I like to think more of my stamp goes on. Given my talks with Bobby and constant arguments, I'd say the trees are mostly mine by now lol. He would have probably done something else!
I can only hope my trees look that good in 5 years. A tip of my hat to you sir!!
I'm only starting my second year and am trying to collect better material than the local nursery stock.
Ah honestly, no need. I like my trees but when posting on here, by comparison, they seem unimpressive. But it doesn't matter.. as long as you are happy with your trees, thats all that matters. How long you have been in the hobby, what another person has done in half the time you have, etc. I try not to compare, just do your thing and enjoy it. Its supposed to be enjoyment after all, not work :).

Also your tastes change.. things you once loved, you start to be bored of.

Top Bottom