So now your spending 300.00 a year for Ryan, how much you spending for material?

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Those first couple of photos look like the toko no ma from the Omiya Bonsai Museum...Photography and disseminating those photos were not allowed in those areas...

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How much $? Every year more than the last year! About $████ (redacted for my own protection from the wife and kids). But point taken on the quality of starting material. Why would I go to a box store when I’m surrounded by bonsai specific nurseries with quality material of all levels. But obviously most aren’t that lucky!

But also why does it only have to be about education and what you learn from the videos? Don’t overlook the entertainment quality of the videos. Plus when you have 13,000 members spending time on a nutty website forum devoted to bonsai, that’s an addiction. I’m more surprised that such an addict wouldn’t pay for any extra bonsai content just to get that extra hit of bonsai. I mean kids pay that much and more just to add cat ears to their selfy pics these days.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A $4000 camera doesn’t make an instant photographer.

A $10,000 stove doesn’t make a good cook.

A $200,000 Maserati doesn’t make a good driver.

The tools are only as good as a person using them.

Your point is taken but notice that I did not say expensive. Price does not always equate to quality.

Reactions: GGB

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Those first couple of photos look like the toko no ma from the Omiya Bonsai Museum...Photography and disseminating those photos were not allowed in those areas...
Kunio Kobayashi sent them to me personally for some consulting work I did for him....

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Not sure if I consider education or material as top priority for spending big bucks, but both extremely important and #1 priority IMO. I spend a hell of a lot on both.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
For the life of me I don't understand why this forum insists on arguing for crappy material and settling for mediocrity in your trees? Does everyone love doing it the hard way.

When you hit the lot on Sunday after Thanksgiving do you just take the first Christmas tree you trip over to the check stand and give the sweet lady your $75.00 or do you poke around a little and look for the best one. What the hell is going on here!!!!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would have expected this post title from @Smoke...Love ya Al...but, that chip you have for another man's success...is beyond me...who cares what one chooses to spend their money on? Why does it matter? There is no wrong way to spend ones money if the one they answer to is themselves.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ever seen that movie, Bully?

Why this unhealthy obsession with RN, bananasmoke?

Has he ever judged your work? Is this some odd jealousy?

What if I spent $300 on a single book for my education (I have, more than once)...so what!!?

The title of this thread alone is complete nonsense.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
For the life of me I don't understand why this forum insists on arguing for crappy material and settling for mediocrity in your trees? Does everyone love doing it the hard way.

When you hit the lot on Sunday after Thanksgiving do you just take the first Christmas tree you trip over to the check stand and give the sweet lady your $75.00 or do you poke around a little and look for the best one. What the hell is going on here!!!!
Why argue for crappy material, because it’s always available and almost alway with someone's means. I covet nicer trees and would spend lots on them if I could. Unfortunately a child needs food and clothes among other things and a divorce would be even more expensive if I did. I use crappy material to further my more basic skills while I wait until I can either find or afford better material. I would love to have yard full of kokufu worthy trees and aspire to it one day. For now most of my trees I work I look at as gifts for friends and family one day when I need room for something better. Do you know how much someone loves to get a tree you have been working on for years? And then double points for not being the least bit upset when they inevitably kill it. I’m not here to have a yard full of mediocre trees in twenty years, but unfortunately that is what I have to work with now. So I learn what I can with what I have.

As for the your comment about spending the $300 on the years subscription, I don’t see the value personally until I have $3000 worth of trees to put the information to work on.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Why argue for crappy material, because it’s always available and almost alway with someone's means. I covet nicer trees and would spend lots on them if I could. Unfortunately a child needs food and clothes among other things and a divorce would be even more expensive if I did. I use crappy material to further my more basic skills while I wait until I can either find or afford better material. I would love to have yard full of kokufu worthy trees and aspire to it one day. For now most of my trees I work I look at as gifts for friends and family one day when I need room for something better. Do you know how much someone loves to get a tree you have been working on for years? And then double points for not being the least bit upset when they inevitably kill it. I’m not here to have a yard full of mediocre trees in twenty years, but unfortunately that is what I have to work with now. So I learn what I can with what I have.

As for the your comment about spending the $300 on the years subscription, I don’t see the value personally until I have $3000 worth of trees to put the information to work on.
That is a perfect post. Succinct and to the point. I respect your cahones to come out and say that. You have my full respect with family and needs. I had my period also. Now at 63 I can put all my attention to my collection and I can tell you without a doubt that when a person can spend 300.00 on a tree versus 30.00 on a tree it makes a difference. Think what 3000.00 could do.

But, I still don't understand this need for someone to tell me I'm mean if they are fiddling with a 30.00 juniper and I tell them that they could do better than that. If they are as you, then just say that. I get it. But don't argue that working on the 30.00 material is THE way to go...I know better than that....

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Ever seen that movie, Bully?

Why this unhealthy obsession with RN, bananasmoke?

Has he ever judged your work? Is this some odd jealousy?

What if I spent $300 on a single book for my education (I have, more than once)...so what!!?

The title of this thread alone is complete nonsense.

Your free to post in other threads then, and thanks for your participation.

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
I've never made fun of you. Why the need to make it personal?
Can’t see where it’s any of your business on what anyone spends on anything.
Your being a dick without ever being a Richard take a guess what you can suck.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Obnoxious trolling. Irony. Contradiction. Arrogance.

Really, how long of a list would you like?
Didn't you recently post a thread with "one dollar tree" in the title. I rest my case. If your gonna run with the big dogs your gonna have to start with a $3.00 dollar tree!

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Didn't you recently post a thread with "one dollar tree" in the title. I rest my case. If your gonna run with the big dogs your gonna have to start with a $3.00 dollar tree!

I did. In fact I bought a second $1.00 tree, and planted numerous free cuttings. If that bothers you, or ruins your day, that's your problem, not mine. It's none of my business what other people think of me.

But, at least I know you saw the thread... :cool:

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Can’t see where it’s any of your business on what anyone spends on anything.
Your being a dick without ever being a Richard take a guess what you can suck.
Does it feel good to come on and beat your chest? I mean really, how childish. I'm calling this bananaman derangement syndrome.

Top Bottom