So this is my first post

DarkStorm

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As I have read along here in CrazyTown its best to do pics to start out. This is my second foray into the beauty that is called Bonsai. I killed a juniper about 15 years ago quite handily {sp}. So I am off and running with this Chinese Elm and I have only begin working it hard this spring. I would love to bring the lowest branches upwards to create a graceful U shape such as we all grew up seeing yard swings hanging from but honestly I am still trying to listen to her and see where we go.

Many Kind Regards

ChinaElm3.jpg

DSChinaElm4.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Greetings, Fellow wanderer of the “Tiny Forest” ...warm your roots by the fire.

I like this Elm.. I was actually JUST discussing the history, adaptations, and strong feelings regarding “S-style” trunks in another thread this morning.

Just “elongating” a welcoming “branch“ in your direction. I’m “root”ing for your plant.

If you’re ever “stumped”, this place is a spring-like wealth of knowledge, experience and shared information

If you’d like to go ahead and update your profile to reflect your location (However vague you’d like, mine just says, “NorthEastern Wisconsin”), it will make your inquiries (this and others) much easier to assess, and provide with any assistance you may need.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

DarkStorm

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Greetings, Fellow wanderer of the “Tiny Forest” ...warm your roots by the fire.

I like this Elm.. I was actually JUST discussing the history, adaptations, and strong feelings regarding “S-style” trunks in another thread this morning.

Just “elongating” a welcoming “branch“ in your direction. I’m “root”ing for your plant.

If you’re ever “stumped”, this place is a spring-like wealth of knowledge, experience and shared information

If you’d like to go ahead and update your profile to reflect your location (However vague you’d like, mine just says, “NorthEastern Wisconsin”), it will make your inquiries (this and others) much easier to assess, and provide with any assistance you may need.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

Ah but the punster LOL, I will be keeping an eye on you, and thanks for the tips. I will do my best.

DarkStorm

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome aboard! Don't take things too seriously at first. Work on your horticultural practices....they'll be plenty of time to step up your skill level....so you can end up like this poor sod....

View attachment 305899

Many thanks and no, I do not want to become that guy *LOL I have too many other hobbies that keep me and my pocket drained. *L* I am thinking just some light pruning over the summer and do some more shaping in the fall? I think

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Welcome aboard! Don't take things too seriously at first. Work on your horticultural practices....they'll be plenty of time to step up your skill level....so you can end up like this poor sod....

View attachment 305899

Did I see this illustration on Bonsai Eijit (spelling DEFINITELY incorrect.)?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ah but the punster LOL, I will be keeping an eye on you, and thanks for the tips. I will do my best.

Hehehe it’s important to have fun... for your OWN amusement only.... it’s all that’s important (in comedy).

Your avatar would lead my to assume that you are an artist of other sorts... awesome! There are musicians, poets, authors, illustrators, painters, sculptors, masons, woodworkers ect.ect. roaming these “halls” and in a number of cases, there are threads designed to document and showcase your own (Non-plant) versions (as well) of artistic expression.
I myself, have been composing music since about 9-10.. and performing in varied venues for about 15 years. Dabbling in other ventures.. there are threads in it! 😆😆
I love it here.

DarkStorm

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hehehe it’s important to have fun... for your OWN amusement only.... it’s all that’s important (in comedy).

Your avatar would lead my to assume that you are an artist of other sorts... awesome! There are musicians, poets, authors, illustrators, painters, sculptors, masons, woodworkers ect.ect. roaming these “halls” and in a number of cases, there are threads designed to document and showcase your own (Non-plant) versions (as well) of artistic expression.
I myself, have been composing music since about 9-10.. and performing in varied venues for about 15 years. Dabbling in other ventures.. there are threads in it! 😆😆
I love it here.

This is not entirely un-expected that there are a "few" artists around *Smiles* I hope over time to learn much from as many as possible. Man this place is huge. LOL I love music btw and am trying to learn guitar (one of those expensive hobbies I expounded on) Cannot read a lick of sheet music but that aint stopped me yet. *grins*

My main artistic flare is best seen in the 3d art type of works such as these,
d1pcm5v-df82153c-eb39-4325-b8d5-5df7ac0eaaa4.jpg

serene_by_darkstormx1_d2gldwm-fullview.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This is not entirely un-expected that there are a "few" artists around *Smiles* I hope over time to learn much from as many as possible. Man this place is huge. LOL I love music btw and am trying to learn guitar (one of those expensive hobbies I expounded on) Cannot read a lick of sheet music but that aint stopped me yet. *grins*

My main artistic flare is best seen in the 3d art type of works such as these,
View attachment 305911

View attachment 305913

Wow!! Impressive.. just stills or do you map the characters and bond points to multi-axised joints and poles assembling a “skeleton”?
;)
I actually did animation for about 5 years.. fell INTO it.. like a hole...

I did not 3d map like that.. THAT is incredible.. I did Non-still 2d Rendering but used shading within AS WELL as in it’s own “layer”.. the effect was haunting real, yet blatantly “superhero”esque lines and shadow definition.... really fun and EXTREMELY time-consuming stuff.

Respect. :)

DarkStorm

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wow!! Impressive.. just stills or do you map the characters and bond points to multi-axised joints and poles assembling a “skeleton”?
;)
I actually did animation for about 5 years.. fell INTO it.. like a hole...

I did not 3d map like that.. THAT is incredible.. I did Non-still 2d Rendering but used shading within AS WELL as in it’s own “layer”.. the effect was haunting real, yet blatantly “superhero”esque lines and shadow definition.... really fun and EXTREMELY time-consuming stuff.

Respect. :)

Oh how cool and so you know the time that goes into a good render. That's the biggest hurdle for most, having as many render engines running in your network as possible. The "Japanese" render that I displayed is all wireframe first (Thinks suddenly that it is bonsai for the screen) LOL then texture mapping and finally 4000x4000 jpgs layed in and then rendered. I have done some animations also but hate it. I am much to impatient. The two scenes above took about 28 hours to render and a week to set up.
Very cool that you "get it" I am having a awesome first day here with you all BTW

DarkStorm

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I should have added, everything in the scene is manipulatable at the wireframe level along with lighting on a stage

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Oh how cool and so you know the time that goes into a good render. That's the biggest hurdle for most, having as many render engines running in your network as possible. The "Japanese" render that I displayed is all wireframe first (Thinks suddenly that it is bonsai for the screen) LOL then texture mapping and finally 4000x4000 jpgs layed in and then rendered. I have done some animations also but hate it. I am much to impatient. The two scenes above took about 28 hours to render and a week to set up.
Very cool that you "get it" I am having a awesome first day here with you all BTW

Incredible!!!!!

*grisly American-southern drawl*

“You’ll do juuust fine here.”

Top Bottom