So what does 300.00 material look like?

MananaP

Seedling
Reaction score
The 20 years, I believe. From seed? Not so much. Airlayer probably. Cutting maybe.
Yes - i think he said 22 years from seed. You can see the bark is starting to flake/crack, that is close to 4" thick base. This tree is just over 3ft tall.

Attachments

• received_346992029286792.jpeg
    received_346992029286792.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 102

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes - i think he said 22 years from seed. You can see the bark is starting to flake/crack, that is close to 4" thick base. This tree is just over 3ft tall.
The 22 years sounds about right.

It’s the seed thing. You see, Zuisho is a genetic sport. Propagated by grafting or layering. Sometimes a cutting will take. They don’t, however, breed true. The seed revert back to being normal JWP.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I also tend to agree on the age, but it’s likely a cutting or graft; cultivars can’t be seedlings by definition. Here is a Zuisho grafted by Brent in 2004. Photos from 2006 and in 2019 at 15 years old. I think I paid $75 for the 2-year old tree, and I’d assume it’s worth more than $300 now; trunk is approaching 3”.
3C97BA40-4DDB-42D5-BC67-12CDA849D95A.jpeg

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
I also tend to agree on the age, but it’s likely a cutting or graft; cultivars can’t be seedlings by definition. Here is a Zuisho grafted by Brent in 2004. Photos from 2006 and in 2019 at 15 years old. I think I paid $75 for the 2-year old tree, and I’d assume it’s worth more than $300 now; trunk is approaching 3”.
View attachment 246013

I'm surprised to see a JWP doing so well in Birmingham. is it because of JBP rootstock?

MananaP

Seedling
Reaction score
The 22 years sounds about right.

It’s the seed thing. You see, Zuisho is a genetic sport. Propagated by grafting or layering. Sometimes a cutting will take. They don’t, however, breed true. The seed revert back to being normal JWP.
Maybe you guys are correct, i do however believe this guy as he is the only Japanese propagator in our area for these JWP. Every year he brings dozens of Zuisho white pine from seed, usually 5-8 years of age(he claims and backed up by hobbyist in our area). I would say he is in the caliber of Tak Yamaura which is known for his Tsukomo.

MananaP

Seedling
Reaction score

Nice - not grafted(i am certain), if you guys are right maybe cuttings but highly doubt it. His trees has never seen the ground and all are pot grown.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice - not grafted(i am certain), if you guys are right maybe cuttings but highly doubt it. His trees has never seen the ground and all are pot grown.
I have a couple Zuisho that were propagated by air layering branches off of another tree.

Any seedling cannot, by definition, be a “Zuisho”. Zuisho cultivar has a specific set of genetics that can only be propagated by grafting, cutting, or layering, either ground layering or air layering.

Seeds are produced by sex, the female cone and the male pollen. Even from the same plant, the genetics of the seed would differ from the parent.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'm surprised to see a JWP doing so well in Birmingham. is it because of JBP rootstock?
Not sure, but some people have good results growing JWP here. Several club members have maintained them for decades. I have killed every JWP I owned, except this one. As much as I like them, I’m not willing to gamble on another.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not sure, but some people have good results growing JWP here. Several club members have maintained them for decades. I have killed every JWP I owned, except this one. As much as I like them, I’m not willing to gamble on another.
That’s a shame, Brian. I have about a dozen here in NE Georgia. I do have a higher elevation than you, so that could make a difference.

One thing I have noticed, the trees that are blue when purchased turn more green in my care. Some still stay “blue-ish”, but some have changed completely green. I don’t know if it’s the water, the climate, what I do (or don’t) fertilize with or what. The Kokonoe that struggled at Boon’s and stayed a very stress pale green/yellow has lush dark green foliage here.

So, back when I first started teaching at Plant City, I used to advocate avoiding JWP, in favor of JBP. But now, I heartedly recommend JWP to people living up here north of Atlanta.

One thing I think has helped a lot is the dryer soil mix. I also advocate using Boon Mix for all trees, especially pines. Whereas in the past, people used a mix based upon pine bark. I think the bark based mixes kept the soil too wet for pines. My personal soil mix is Clay King with additional pumice added in (25%).

Top Bottom