So what should I do now?

alonsou

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hello folks,

I have a juniper procumbens nana, that while I was trying to styled one of the main branches (what I was planning to turn into the apex) pretty much snapped out of the tree while I was trying to straighten it up, it literally came off the tree, that's how bad it was :cry:

I almost panic, tried to re-attached and secured the branch in place with wire and seal the entire damaged area with some wound sealant, but sadly my efforts had no luck at all. :oops:

Ok so now moving forward, there's nothing I can do to fix that, (lesson learned) the question is:

What should I do with the death part of the tree?

1) I could take it off but the tree my look odd with out it.
2) I was planning on turning that into some kind of jin/shari but I still have the issue of no apex on the tree, have anyone seen or its even possible to have a Bonsai with a jin as an apex?

Just looking for some feedback as to what others think I should do now.

Thanks for your help!..

OOhhh yes... the images ...

IMAG0148.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

Colorado Slim

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
if a mistake can be turned into a feature, I say go for it... a jin coming off the top may look great if it's done right, although it'll change the balance of the tree... perhaps some people better suited to photoshop than I could put some virt's together for you

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Keep the rest of the tree happy, chances are you get some buds popping in that area.

Welcome to the world of OOps.

Funny thing to do , while someone is styling a tree wait for that magical moment, and snap a pencil behind your back while near the stylist.:eek:

Could have a possible cascade in there, pick it up and look at if from all kinds of angles, see if something else isn't in there.

Oh ya , ease up at the gym. ;)

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
By the way there is nothing stopping you from using it as a jinned top, but you will need to reduce it. You can cut off all the fine stuff with dead needles, it's not coming back.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Right now, your tree is going down in 2 directions, like a schizophrenic. I suggest you do away with most of the right side branch . . . something like this:

Attachments

• jun.jpg
    jun.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 24

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello alonsou,
Too bad you did not have super glue or crazy glue on hand. I am not sure if you aware of this, but super glue can be used, very effictively, for breaks. As long as the branch is not totally broken off. If there is some peice that still connects the branch to the tree, this technique will work. All you have to do is put a small drop right in the middle of the deadwood and push the ends back together. The bond is very strong and no wrapping is needed. Unless you wanted to. I would still wait a 2-3 months before trying to bend it again. Also, if you do bend that area again, I would hold it with your fingers, just to make sure.

alonsou

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
See that's the thing, I was trying too hard to bend that branch, I even used a branch clamp and no success, that little branch its was just way too hard to bend, that it just gave up for all the pressure I put on it, when I heard that snapping noise, the branch was just holding by a few fibers of wood almost nothing remained attached, o well, yeah I think I will wait a few more months, perhaps I get to see one or two new buds popping out :D

Top Bottom