So Whats Your Bonsai Story?

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
As there are many people on bonsai nut, many people have shared stories about how they started. I can't find a thread dedicated to people's "Bonsai story" and how they started. So here is a thread dedicated to just that. Let's all share when and how we started and even also how you got to where you are now!

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I started a year and half ago when I was 59. The trigger was a gift from a friend (a chinese elm). So now I have about 45 trees growing, and I wonder why did I wait so many years to begin. Being now retired, I feel bonsai is gonna be just a delicious part of my life and future......

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've always been interested and grew up near NEBG. Had a couple of trees from them as a kid, bought and murdered a nursery juniper after keeping it alive for a year (pro tip: don't bare root junipers by beating the root ball against a rock when you're 13 or whatever).

Wanted to get back into it for a long time, was nervous about killing things, got a ficus, kept it alive for a year, got a schefflera, got a bunch of other mostly tropical stuff, kept them alive for a couple years.

Some time shortly before the pandemic I think I found Peter Chan and Nigel Saunders on YouTube, which lead to Bjorn / Ryan / Mauro / etc. I had already bought a juniper that I didn't know what to do with.

Ended up taking a 1:1 class, watched that raw juniper material get shaped into a tree by someone who knew what they were doing, and it was off to the races. I'm doing / have done all the same newbie stuff every newbie does - I'm a newbie, it's what we do - but hopefully with eyes wide open, and at least vaguely aware of when I'm getting into dangerous territory, so I've not been too disappointed by failures. Most failures involve not following the rules or bending them, or cutting something and not being able to take back the decision. I'm a bit less eager to cut things now, and have less and less of an urge as time goes on to push the boundaries of the rules.

And then, of course, the pandemic left me a lot of time to spend in my own head and staring at trees. I got squirrely enough during isolation with the trees to focus on that I'm glad they were around to take my attention.

My goal re-entering this time was to not allow people to make decisions for me, because it leaves you waiting for someone to tell you what to do and wondering what the long term plans are. I'm more inclined to do the research, do the thing myself, and then ask if I did it right, in a lot of scenarios. I want to know what I'm doing and where I'm going before I do it - even if I'm wrong, I don't want to just "wing it" and pray that time will figure it out for me. I play with almost anything I can get my hands on.

Waiting for it all to come crashing down any day now, but so far it's been great.

Bricker918

Mame
Reaction score
My girlfriend bought a little juniper for my audio recording/mixing desk in 2016, kept it alive a whopping 6 months. Fast forward to 2018 I picked up a stick of a Japanese maple from a nursery. Looked online for examples and saw all the trunks were huge compared to what I picked up. So I googled “how to make bonsai trunk thick” and found this forum! Noticed it was a complex and involved hobby/craft/art and was very intrigued. Been obsessed ever since! (still have the stick of the Japanese maple too)

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Me too, friend.

I often feel like Earl when explaining my "pre-tiny-tree" life.

Like, "I was a bad guy.. I did bad things... and now I'm making up for it."

🤓
Funny thing is I didn’t start watching it until about 6 months ago on Hulu and finished it within 2 months.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My story is all crazy

Started with someone posting a pic of an old Rubik’s cube someone found in a back garden all grown over sometime around the beginning of 2020. It gave me an idea so I started looking into terrariums and more ideas, which turned into a search of enclosed terrariums

I think I ended up seeing some Heron’s Bonsai video at some point end of 2020 and looked into that and ended up buying some material last March 2021

Now I’m here with prob 40 bits of material, a decent bench built, and a small area allocated to my stuff

Note: I got a few terrarium things, but it was too late in the season to plant things, so still have that project to do, lol. Eventually…

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I lived in an apartment for 17 years and always had a love of houseplants. I started growing ficus indoors and was encouraged by watching Adamaskwhy blogs and reading the bonsaihunk web page. Now I have a house and a yard.
Trying to find a species that can survive in Iowa outdoors all year. I don’t want to shelter it but I haven’t found that one yet- So I continue with the tropicals. I might thin them down this year again and just keep 10-12.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was first introduced to bonsai through the Karate Kid movies but didn't get a tree until years later. Picked up a little juniper mallsai from Lowe's on a whim sometime in the 90s. Had that all through college and for a few years after. Didn't know anyone else who did bonsai. Had no idea that bonsai clubs were a thing that existed in the U.S. I had exactly one bonsai book, Simon & Schuster's Guide To Bonsai (purchased from Borders.... remember that store?), and that was the sum total of absolutely everything that I knew about bonsai. I kept the juniper indoors, always right next to a window. I have no idea how it survived for as long as it did. It wasn't in what I now know to be a proper substrate for bonsai. I think it was basically just in kind of a potting soil & sand mix with a bit of a coarse rocky top dressing. Unlike the typical mallsai of today, the rocks were not glued on.

I knew to check the soil for moisture with my finger because the book said so. I always watered by immersion, which was probably a factor in keeping it alive for so long despite me not knowing that junipers should be outside. If the soil got dry enough for a spot to get hydrophobic, immersion watering would've rehydrated it, whereas top watering would not have. Of course, I wouldn't have known that back then. I just knew the book said you could water it that way and, with me keeping it indoors, that seemed the least messy way of watering to just take it over to the sink, soak it a bit, let it drain, and put it back where it was. Didn't have to worry about watering too much and then having water spilling out onto the carpet. I think I only ever wired the tree once, using green florist's wire. It died after the first time I repotted it. I didn't get another tree for years. To this day, I still have the cheap blue production pot that it was in.

I got back into bonsai about five years ago. I was surfing the Internet and, at some point, I think I ended up doing a search on bonsai with my local area just out of curiosity. I think maybe I was looking to see if there was anywhere in the area that sold them. I found a local club, showed up at one of their meetings just to check it out. Went to a few more meetings, but still wasn't sure if it was my *thing* or not. Got a couple of nursery trees and some wire and started playing around with them. At one club meeting, they had Bjorn there doing a demo on a Ponderosa. He was doing big bends and a complete styling. He bent that tree like a pretzel and blew my freakin' mind. Hooked ever since.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I was born in the middle 1950's. My father spent the Korean war stationed in Osaka, Japan 1951 -1952. During that time he befriended 2 Japanese national nurses. Every chance Dad had, he would travel the Japanese countryside taking photos of temples, scenery, forests, bamboo, and taverns, always accompanied by one of the nurses and one or more of their family members. (they were proper Japanese, he was never alone with them). One of the nurses which eventually moved to NYC. The other "Grace" stayed in the Osaka-Kyoto area. Around 1969 Grace visited USA to visit her friend in NYC, but she made a point of coming to Chicago to visit my father. She gave each one of us kids (5 all together) a gift, mine was a book of photos of bonsai, with english captions. Between that book and paging through dad's old photos of the temple and gardens, I got hooked on the idea of bonsai. My first "Bonsai Tree" that lived any length of time was a pomegranate that I bought before 1973. It was just a cutting. I kept it growing for 42 years. I made all the mistakes on it possible. I was entirely self taught, just reading books, magazines and the internet up until 2003. I looked at this then 30 years in my care pomegranate and realized it still looked like a shrub in a pot and not a tree, and not a bonsai. That is when I finally decided it was time to go get lessons. I joined the Milwaukee Bonsai Society, and started taking classes with Jack Douthitt, later Ted Matson, Colin Lewis, & Peter Tea. and a bunch of one day events in the years between. Eventually lost the tree, but it taught me a lot. Wish I had started with the classes sooner. I wish I had the humility to get classes back in the 1980s or 1990's. But better late than never. I thought I could learn everything from books, magazines and the internet. But this is a art, and you really need hands on instruction.

Not everyone lives close to resources, but if at all possible, take a class, or a one day seminar somewhere. Workshops are good. And there is a pretty good batch of Japan trained artists wandering the USA these days. A few hundred dollars and you can have quality time with one of them. Do that just a few times and you will see a tremendous improvement in your bonsai.

CLubs are uneven, some are good, some are great some are mediocre. Right now the Milwaukee Bonsai Society has a wealth of high level members that are great teachers and willing to teach, Brian S, Steve C, are two that are really doing a great job. Ron F and Pam W are also really making the effort. I can not praise the Milwaukee group enough. Very active and very high quality bonsai being done. THe Chicago group is similar though I am not as familiar with the Chicago group.

There was a club I visited more than 150 miles away from my home but less than 400 miles away from my home that was dominated by a blow hard know nothing, the result is, nobody in the club knew anything more than this blow hard. Members with talent got put off and quit, it was a collection of perpetual newbies that got loaded up with crap information. I visited this club's bonsai show every year or two for 2 decades. It took about 12 years, suddenly Mr Blowhard Know-Nothing was gone, the club had adopted Owen Reich as a visiting sensei and there was a new crop excited and interested members all learning bonsai the right way. Point of this paragraph,, not every club is great, and not every bad club is doomed to be permanently bad. Clubs are only as good as their members want them to be. So check out your local club. Get active. And if it is not as good of a club as you would like it to be; do what you can to help it become a better club.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I tell people I got bored with houseplants, and I haven’t been bored since.

Started in late 1994 in Iowa with the obligatory p. nana juniper, a 5-hawthorn forest (which I rearranged until 5 was 3, which became 2 and then all were dead by spring), and an olive. Took my first classes from Dave Lowman (DaSu Studios).

Graduated college in 1999 and moved a decent-sized collection of not-that-decent trees in a 4x6 U-Haul trailer pulled by a brown on brown 1983 Chrysler New Yorker with my dog in the back seat and my wife following in “the good car” as we moved to Nashville…did bonsai on a balcony for 3 months there, got promoted to Birmingham and moved everything again to another apartment with a balcony for a year.

Hired Colin Lewis to do a workshop for the Nashville club, but by the time it rolled around, we were already in Alabama…of course I made the trip back. Met Gary Wood and Kathy Shaner in Alabama and have been fortunate enough to work with them both over the years.

By the time we bought our first house in 2000, I had maybe 4 of the trees I moved from Iowa in that U-Haul. Today I only have a single cutting from a Chinese elm that made the original move. This photo is a few years old, but it’s still alive, better than the parent, and currently in the ground.
BCA06318-842E-4427-A86B-F16CD27549EC.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I was born in the middle 1950's. My father spent the Korean war stationed in Osaka, Japan 1951 -1952. During that time he befriended 2 Japanese national nurses. Every chance Dad had, he would travel the Japanese countryside taking photos of temples, scenery, forests, bamboo, and taverns, always accompanied by one of the nurses and one or more of their family members. (they were proper Japanese, he was never alone with them). One of the nurses which eventually moved to NYC. The other "Grace" stayed in the Osaka-Kyoto area. Around 1969 Grace visited USA to visit her friend in NYC, but she made a point of coming to Chicago to visit my father. She gave each one of us kids (5 all together) a gift, mine was a book of photos of bonsai, with english captions. Between that book and paging through dad's old photos of the temple and gardens, I got hooked on the idea of bonsai. My first "Bonsai Tree" that lived any length of time was a pomegranate that I bought before 1973. It was just a cutting. I kept it growing for 42 years. I made all the mistakes on it possible. I was entirely self taught, just reading books, magazines and the internet up until 2003. I looked at this then 30 years in my care pomegranate and realized it still looked like a shrub in a pot and not a tree, and not a bonsai. That is when I finally decided it was time to go get lessons. I joined the Milwaukee Bonsai Society, and started taking classes with Jack Douthitt, later Ted Matson, Colin Lewis, & Peter Tea. and a bunch of one day events in the years between. Eventually lost the tree, but it taught me a lot. Wish I had started with the classes sooner. I wish I had the humility to get classes back in the 1980s or 1990's. But better late than never. I thought I could learn everything from books, magazines and the internet. But this is a art, and you really need hands on instruction.

Not everyone lives close to resources, but if at all possible, take a class, or a one day seminar somewhere. Workshops are good. And there is a pretty good batch of Japan trained artists wandering the USA these days. A few hundred dollars and you can have quality time with one of them. Do that just a few times and you will see a tremendous improvement in your bonsai.

CLubs are uneven, some are good, some are great some are mediocre. Right now the Milwaukee Bonsai Society has a wealth of high level members that are great teachers and willing to teach, Brian S, Steve C, are two that are really doing a great job. Ron F and Pam W are also really making the effort. I can not praise the Milwaukee group enough. Very active and very high quality bonsai being done. THe Chicago group is similar though I am not as familiar with the Chicago group.

There was a club I visited more than 150 miles away from my home but less than 400 miles away from my home that was dominated by a blow hard know nothing, the result is, nobody in the club knew anything more than this blow hard. Members with talent got put off and quit, it was a collection of perpetual newbies that got loaded up with crap information. I visited this club's bonsai show every year or two for 2 decades. It took about 12 years, suddenly Mr Blowhard Know-Nothing was gone, the club had adopted Owen Reich as a visiting sensei and there was a new crop excited and interested members all learning bonsai the right way. Point of this paragraph,, not every club is great, and not every bad club is doomed to be permanently bad. Clubs are only as good as their members want them to be. So check out your local club. Get active. And if it is not as good of a club as you would like it to be; do what you can to help it become a better club.

super agree about classes despite being someone who wants to try things on his own first

tbh the juniper I bought was because I was like, well, time to try a “serious” one, it just sat in its pot for a year.

even after all the YouTube I kept sitting down and realizing I had no idea what I was doing (I still don’t particularly with junipers, but I REALLY didn’t then), and admitted my limitations. The material was too nice, and I was absolutely going to ruin it without a class. No ifs and or buts. Not a chance. I was screwed.

So I took a class where it was wired in front of me. Then a few more where I did the wiring myself under guidance.

THEN I felt I was competent enough to play around a little (I wasn’t, but it felt nice to think so).

now, I don’t know what I’m screwing up, but definitely something. I’m not great at groups (I’ve literally been a dues paying member of a local mycology club for over a half decade and have only gone twice) so it’s a good excuse to challenge myself on that and keep learning.

just thought I’d highlight the lesson thing, they’re truly worth it if you find a good one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom