So where are the trees

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's spring time. Surely, I'm not the only one working on trees. Let's post a few photos and get some bonsai dialogue on the board.

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm too busy repotting to take any pictures at the moment! Spring came early here (hopefully here to stay!), and I have at least another 10 that I need to get repotted in the next week. It is pretty exciting, though, as many of these are going into their first bonsai pot. Not anywhere near finished trees, but coming out of a pond basket or nursery container into something more like a proper bonsai pot really makes an impact.

-Darrell

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Darrell- How about some pics from your repotting session this past weekend?
Rick- When do your trees finally wake up, and how long is your growing season?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's difficult to work alone and document the process at the same time. I will be working on repotting a large collected spruce in a couple of weeks. I hope to have extra hands around to help photograph, and make a repotting party out of it. Who wants to come?

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Darrell- How about some pics from your repotting session this past weekend?

I have some pictures of the roots, but have not had a chance to photograph the finished product. I'm going to play hookey from work on Friday and try to power through the rest of my repotting, then get pictures of all of them.

-Darrell

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Rick- When do your trees finally wake up, and how long is your growing season?
A couple of weeks from now, they are happy and cosy in their cold frame... and our growing season too freaking short.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Busy, busy. Done with most of my repotting. I've started a new air-layer with a couple more on the way. Right now I am busy with my BIG bonsai - aka my Japanese garden around my koi pond. Still have some bamboo that needs to go in the ground. We have had some bad weather here - very hot, dry and windy with temps around 90. Some of my Japanese maples were not happy at all; I had to move them into complete shade because they were starting to wilt and get burnt tips. Hopefully it will be a couple of months before we see those temps again.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Busy, busy. Done with most of my repotting. I've started a new air-layer with a couple more on the way. Right now I am busy with my BIG bonsai - aka my Japanese garden around my koi pond. Still have some bamboo that needs to go in the ground. We have had some bad weather here - very hot, dry and windy with temps around 90. Some of my Japanese maples were not happy at all; I had to move them into complete shade because they were starting to wilt and get burnt tips. Hopefully it will be a couple of months before we see those temps again.

I'm happy to hear you and your trees made it through the fires. I noticed on your last response you live in Orange County. When you mentioned the heat I had to see if I could figure out why---now I know. Glad you are safe.

Top Bottom