So you think squirrels are bad...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've not had a squirrel problem, but I do have a raccoon problem. I've got more than one living in the crawl space in my townhouse ceiling (no attic because of vaulted ceilings) This girl has been living in a 12" space between my roof and inner ceiling for two months, now. She has already raised a litter of kits up there. I've been trying to trap her for months with a local licensed trapper, We haven't had any luck--although we have caught several males. I can only imagine the damage this beastie has done to my house...

And no, can't use a shotgun. I live in an area that is sensitive to security...hanging around with a shotgun in the front yard would probably bring a frightening response from the local constabulary:D:D.

Attachments

• IMG_0207.JPG
    IMG_0207.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0208.JPG
    IMG_0208.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 136

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
She's looking pretty comfortable up there. At least she has the decency to look outside and thank you for your hospitality - or is she taunting you? :rolleyes:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Got some good sniper rifles that are pretty darned effective from a mile and a half now, although the 50 cal hole is kind of detremental to the roof shingles.:eek:

With 7/4 coming around soon how are your cops with fireworks, maybe some regular harrassment might help, just don't get them inside or you may have a southern BBQ you weren't counting on. I'll bring corn bread.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The little rat Bas#$%& was panting and drooling on the side of the house at 11 this morning. It's got to be over 120 F in the roof, as it is 100 F in the shade outside today. The slop from the panting almost dripped on me when I went out the front door. :rolleyes:

I've thinking about a late evening ninja baseball bat attack, but she's resting 25 feet over the front yard. I'm not desperate enough yet to shake off an angry raccoon while hanging onto an extension ladder:eek:

We've already tried spraying "coyote gland" liquid (which is a Harry Homeowner euphmism for coyote pee) all over the place up there. See any alarm on that masked face? She didn't care. Which is why I always laugh at the people who say predator urine will deter squirrels and other mammal pests. It doesn't work -- a bit....

Last edited:

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I imagine she's thinking that there's no way a coyote can get up there :confused:

What about making lots of noise? I'm sure if you played music from the Miley Cyrus catalog, she would go running (I know that I would).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tried noise. Didn't help. Tried banging really really hard on the ceiling inside. Nothing.

The only thing that has driven her out was banging ON TOP of the roof--which I did when we thought it was a squirrel up there back in April. She didn't go far and returned after we got off the roof. We couldn't patch the hole while she was out because she had a litter of little ones---which would have died in the roof and produced a whole other set of problems...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dog won't work. I live in a row of townhouses. The thing climbs my neighbor's downwpout five doors down and runs across the roofs to MY house:rolleyes: Why my house was chosen is a mystery, although the local squirrel population may have had something to do with it by working the soffit loose.

Anyway, raccoon bites can be very serious for dogs. A disease called "racoon paralysis" or "coonhaound paralysis" can affect about half the dogs that are bitten by these critters. Although the reaction to the bite isn't fatal, it's a real bummer for the dog. Having seen the disease in action when I was a kid, I wouldn't wish it on any dog...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Duane. :D:D There aren't any of these things in Hawaii -- yet -- MWwwaaaahaaahhaa...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
yes... yes... I'm going to say it... blame it on the fact that I am a total girl....

but she's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute!

Srsly. Not Kiddin'... she's cute as all get out. :D

Build her a house, a nice one, and see if you can tempt her into it... and then close up the roof. Not a trap... a raccoon condo... she aint no dumby, she'd move if it was more desireable. :D

V

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If she weren't in my roof taking advantage of my accommodations I would agree she's cute. Some of my neighbors think these things are appealing too. They feed the damn things and don't use garbage cans, which is probably why this critter wound up in my roof.

However, listening to her and her brood pee on my the other side of my ceiling for two months kind of takes the charm away...The rabid raccoon that staggered around the neighborhood last year kind of put me off the appeal too.

Cute ends at disease ridden and disgusting...

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
"Srsly. Not Kiddin'... she's cute as all get out.

Build her a house, a nice one, and see if you can tempt her into it... and then close up the roof. Not a trap... a raccoon condo... she aint no dumby, she'd move if it was more desireable.

V "

rock the funny part is, she's probably right, she usually is.

How about the lasso on a long pole routine, I'm sure animal ctl, might have some, but I,m thinking you aren't looking to pay for something like that either.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Airsoft may be your answer,one plastic BB pinging off her nose may be just the ticket.

Agave are a good badger deterent,you could try firecrackers and even the electric fence.

Last edited:

Sami

Seedling
Reaction score
try mace, spray a little mace up there every day, and they'll move

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Raccoons are really ferocious and dangerous. Around here in Iowa, no one tries to trap them. We kill them.

chappy56

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd set a live trap in the evening.
Racoons are nocturnal.
Catch her, take her for a nice long ride in the country and release her there.
I wouldn't waste anytime either. She's probably building a nest up there.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From an evolutionary perspective (if you believe in that ;)) racoons are cute for the same reason certain caterpillars taste bad to birds....it's like protection. They're smarmy little bastards. Don't let them fool you. One got in my sisters attic and I think she needed a back hoe for all the *@!# they left behind. I like the mace idea. With regular harassment that could work. Other noxious things like spray paint, insect spray, capsaicin, ammonia soaked rags, lights, and really bad talk radio programs could work. Have her listen to some fire and brimstone preacher with a radio for a week....she'll leave for sure. :D I'd sooooo get her out of there. They're bad tenants.

woodguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's a taunting glare in the first pic if I ever saw one.

Top Bottom