So you want to be a Professional?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Look under my picture in the preface and you will see they mistakenly put William Valavanis's name under it......

:rolleyes:

I don't think that applies to my copy. I'll have to look again but I just got both books for Winter Solstice and have been perusing them steadily.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Then my copy must be an early edition as well; the point is-----------?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then my copy must be an early edition as well; the point is-----------?

No point Vance, just seems that I haven't seen the issue. I'll be doing a review of both books soon, and this is one point that I will probably ignore since it's obviously been remedied.

Reaction score
USDA Zone

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I can't really say it any better than Will did, so I'll let you read what he wrote.

Will Heath said:
Alright, let's clarify this....

For the record, using another's photograph without expressed permission or, at the very least, citing the owner and source is generally frowned upon. ... Photographs are copyrighted by the photographer and that should be respected. A simple link to the picture in question would have served the same purpose. Common courtesy would dictate at least a mention to the owner of the tree and a link to the source.

Copyright violation is a serious issue and one not to be taken lightly...

I figure you're probably scratching your head a little Vance, so I'll make it easy for you. I was browsing AoB recently and came across an article ...

Oops. He did it again.

http://artofbonsai.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3904

Will Heath said:
...the simple fact is one should always error(sic) on the side of caution and attribute sources.
(my bold)

Actually, in this case using the image and attributing the source is still a violation of Don_Gato(LoFi Photography)'s copyright. Had he wanted to allow an attribution-licensed use of his images he'd have done so. Flickr makes it pretty easy to choose how you license your work. The "All rights reserved" means that the rights to use this image are reserved for the holder of copyright, the creator, in this case Don_Gato. If there's any question, he spells it out for us here: http://www.flickr.com/people/quiero-un-pantano/ ...when he says "Please don't use my photos without permission!!" Look at that. Two (2) exclamation marks. I think that sums it up pretty well.

If AoB wants to be a coffee book site for bonsai (I hope I'm not misrepresenting things), maybe they should hire their own photographers to illustrate their articles instead of violating other photographers' copyright.

Attachments

• aob2.jpg
    aob2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 20
  • flickr.jpg
    flickr.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 23
Top Bottom